The National Renewable Energy Laboratory is seeking a technically-focused and experienced senior research analyst to evaluate the market potential of opportunities to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions within the industrial and buildings sectors. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to combine a scientific/engineering/economics background with excellent work habits, communication skills, and quantitative modeling.
Works under minimal supervision to research, analyze and communicate economic, business, policy, market, and/or regulatory issues affecting deployment of renewable energy and energy efficient technologies. Participates in the development of novel research and analysis, within a fast-paced team of colleagues, leaders, and clients.
Writes clear and detailed studies, articles and presentations on findings for internal and external stakeholders, publications, journals, and conferences. Contributes to developing external funding.
NOTE: An offer for this position is dependent upon Department of Energy concurrence.”
Develop, perform and supervise analyses that apply standard and state-of-the-art quantitative methodologies to:
• Evaluate the potential of alternative energy and energy efficient technologies related to the buildings and industrial sectors.
• Identify sources and gather data, and resolve discrepancies between conflicting data sources.
• Independently operate energy assessment tools and software, evaluate results, prepare detailed graphics, and present results to senior analysts. Excellent Microsoft Excel skills.
• Use existing tools to evaluate energy use and make recommendations to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, water consumption, and energy use.
• Determine the economic viability of alternative energy and energy efficiency options using engineering design and discounted cash flow analysis.
• Work with GIS analysts to represent data and results geographically.
• Review technical proposals.
• Provide data and projections to senior staff and Department of Energy clients.
• Develop clearly written interpretations of analyses.
• Publish and present results of studies in relevant journals and at conferences, symposia, and review meetings.
Required Education and Experience
Relevant PhD and 4 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Or, relevant Master's Degree and 7 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Or, relevant Bachelor's Degree and 9 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of laws, regulations, principles, procedures and practices related to specific field. Excellent leadership, communication, problem solving and project management skills. Ability to use various computer software programs.
Additional Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Training in science and/or engineering and/or economics field. A minimum of nine years of demonstrated work in technology feasibility assessment, energy modeling, economic analysis, life cycle assessment, and application of engineering analysis principles within renewable and conventional energy analysis. Previous experience in energy efficiency analysis and deployment, particularly within the buildings and industrial sectors. For example, energy efficiency potential studies, resource supply curves, legislative analysis, integrated-resource planning, and/or utility efficiency program design and/or execution.
Demonstrated ability to work well within a team and independently with guidance from senior staff.
Comfortable working under time pressure and providing an "80/20" response (i.e., knowing when an answer is "good enough").
Experience in direct client interaction and support.
• Familiarity with electricity sector including regulated economics, electricity generation, and demand-side program.
• MBA or equivalent experience.
• Experience in an energy-intensive sector of industry (e.g., iron & steel, aluminum, pulp & paper).
• Consulting experience or other client-service experience.
• Demonstrated experience working well in a small team environment.
• Familiarity with statistical methods including curve-fitting and error analysis, possibly including SPSS or equivalent.
NREL is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. NREL promotes a work environment that does not discriminate against workers or job applicants and prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, ancestry, actual or perceived sexual orientation, or veteran status, including special disabled veterans.
NREL validates right to work using E-Verify. NREL will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. For additional information, please see www.nrel.gov/employment/eeo.html .