Area Therapy Director / Physical Therapist
(Covering the New England Territory - Can Reside Anywhere Within New England)
This opportunity REQUIRES a 4 year, or greater, degree in Physical Therapy. Supervises and directs the therapy staff in multiple centers within a specified geographic area of a market, while promoting Concentra Medical Centers injury Process Management and Concentra Medical Centers philosophy of rehabilitation in occupational medicine.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Clinical Responsibilities (Process Management / Content Management skills)
Business / Financial Responsibilities
- Arrives at work on time ready to see patients when the center opens.
- Conducts an initial evaluation the same day as referred, except when prevented by external forces (i.e. carrier/employer pre-authorization requirements, etc.). An appropriate treatment plan will be developed with measurable goals and time frames. Appropriately document the treatment plan, as well as the actual treatment chosen and provided, in the therapy chart per documentation guidelines. Following Process Management guidelines, acute injuries, as appropriate and allowable, will be scheduled for daily treatment following the sports medicine aggressive approach to functional recovery.
- Ensures that other treating medical professionals have the necessary information to appropriately evaluate the patients functional ability. This will include, but is not limited to:
- Documenting each treatment provided per session on the appropriate form, including exercises performed, and providing the referring physician with written objective progress reports for each patient prior to physician recheck dates.
- Verbal discussion with the referring physician about the patients case, as indicated, but is not to take the place of written documentation of progress.
- Full evaluation of the functional ability and progress of the patient.
- Recommendations for continuance or changes in the patients therapy program, including recommended discharge from therapy. For acute injuries, significant progress should be noted by 4-5 visits. If progress remains limited at 6-8 visits, the therapist must discuss the patients case with the treating physician as part of the case management process. Any therapy treatment beyond 8 visits should show a change in the treatment plan and documentation of objectively measurable progress.
- Communicates verbally with all medical providers in all centers of responsibility regarding challenging patients and discusses appropriate diagnoses for referral to therapy as well as advances in the field.
- Communicates on a regular basis with the therapy patients personally treated in all centers of responsibility, setting expectations for return-to-work and emphasizing education and motivation for compliance with the established treatment plan, following content management principles.
- Develops knowledge of best demonstrated practices and the development of specific quality indicators used to measure them, of the factors that impact those quality indicators, and of methods to improve the quality indicators.
- Communicates with area employers concerning specific rehabilitation issues of injured employees as indicated and meets with employers to discuss Concentras early intervention philosophy as requested.
- Participates in his/her base centers Leadership Team, which has the responsibility for supervising the daily operations and direction of the center. The team works together to ensure that the operations are consistent with medical policy and professional standards in occupational medicine and Concentra Health Services. Where appropriate, the Center Leadership Team also establishes policies and procedures for the center to ensure that these goals are met. The Area Therapy Director will also periodically participate with the Center Leadership Teams in each of the area centers of responsibility.
- Participates with the Center Leadership Teams to establish budgetary goals and to achieve those goals for his/her base center, as well as in the other area centers of responsibility.
- Coordinates with the members of the Center Leadership Teams in all area centers of responsibility to keep missed appointment rates within acceptable ranges by ensuring that the centers have a system in place to follow up on missed appointments the same day.
the patient chart. Ensures therapists in all area centers of responsibility achieve the same pre-authorization goals.
- Evaluates the capital equipment and staff needs of each area center of responsibility in order to ensure that each center may fulfill its rehabilitation responsibilities in therapy. Makes proposals to the Assistant Regional Therapy Director, Regional Therapy Director, or the National Therapy Director, as appropriate, on the capital equipment and/or staff needed to meet these objectives.
- Participates with the Center Leadership Teams in all area centers of responsibility in order to bring new business to the centers.
- Provides statistical analysis of each area centers therapy performance to the Area Leadership Team (as appropriate) and to the Regional Therapy Director, utilizing the tools provided.
- Promotes clear lines of communication between therapy and the other staff members in all area centers of responsibility.
- Tracks pre-authorization requirements according to state standards, coordinating the obtainment of the required pre-authorization utilizing the established system, and ensuring that documentation of the pre-authorization process is in
Directors, and participating with the Center Therapy Directors in the disciplinary action for all other therapy staff members, after consultation with the direct supervisor and the appropriate Human Resources Representative. Area Therapy Directors will be directly responsible for determining the point at which the action has been corrected, further discipline must be conducted, or if termination is necessary, coordinates the same with the Center Therapy Directors and Center Medical Directors for all other therapy staff members. Participates with the Center Administrator for his/her base center in the same disciplinary processes for all front office staff that are involved with the therapy department.
- Coordinates the interviewing of all prospective therapy staff additions to all area centers of responsibility. Ensures both the Center Therapy Director and Center Medical Director interview the candidate(s) and provide input in the hiring decision. Provides feedback to the Assistant Regional Therapy Director or the Regional Therapy Director regarding the eligibility of the candidate(s) for hiring. Actual hiring processes will be initiated based upon the feedback from the Center Therapy Director, Center Medical Director, and Area Therapy Director, and no candidate will be hired without the signature of acceptance of these directors. Coordinates with the Center Therapy Director and the Center Medical Director, to determine the appropriate level of initial compensation and make recommendation to the Assistant Regional Therapy Director or the Regional Therapy Director. Participates with the Center Administrator in the interviewing and hiring decision process of all front office staff that will be involved with the therapy department, and will assist with initial compensation determination for his/her base center.
- Coordinates the therapy staff schedules for all area centers of responsibility to ensure efficient productivity while meeting client needs.
- Evaluates the performance of all Center Therapy Directors in all area centers of responsibility at least annually. Coordinates the performance evaluation process for all other therapy staff members in all area centers of responsibility at least annually. Makes recommendations to the Assistant Regional Therapy Director or the Regional Therapy Director regarding the recommended new level of compensation, and will provide supporting documentation accordingly that will include signed recommendations from the Center Therapy Director and Center Medical Director. Participates with the Center Administrator for his/her base center in the annual performance review process of all front office staff involved with the therapy department and will assist with determining the new level of compensation.
- Evaluates the performance of all therapy staff members for the purpose of promotion. Solicits recommendations from the employees Center Therapy Director and Center Medical Director and will make recommendations to the Assistant Regional Therapy Director or the Regional Therapy Director regarding the qualification of the therapy staff member for such promotion Participates with the Center Administrator for his/her base center in the performance review process of all front office staff that are involved with the therapy department towards determining the qualification of the individual for promotion.
- Directly responsible for the disciplinary process for all Center Therapy Directors in all area centers of responsibility. Coordinates with the Center Therapy Directors and Center Medical Directors in the disciplinary process for all other therapy staff members as necessary. Identifies issues in need of disciplinary action and the detailed documentation necessary to clearly define them. Coordinates with and make recommendations to the Assistant Regional Therapy Director or the Regional Therapy Director regarding the identified and documented issues. Conducts the disciplinary action for the Center Therapy
- Upon completion of the disciplinary process and determination that the disciplined therapy staff member has not successfully corrected the action of focus, the Area Therapy Director is responsible for either directly, or in coordination with the Center Therapy Director and Center Medical Director, terminating the therapy staff members employment. Prior to the termination, the Area Therapy Director will coordinate with the Assistant Regional Therapy Director and/or the Regional Therapy Director AND the appropriate Human Resources Representative regarding the proper procedures to be followed. Participates with the Center Administrator for his/her base center in the same termination process for all front office staff that is involved with the therapy department.
- Communicates with the Outcome Assurance Injury Coordinator or the Case Manager for each patient whom s/he personally treats, as requested. Communication will occur regarding the patients objective progress, compliance with the program, compliance with attendance of scheduled appointments, the estimated time frame until discharge from therapy, and other issues as indicated.
- Participates in clinical instruction of university therapist and/or therapist assistant students on an as-interested basis.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the rehabilitation quality management process. Coordinates with the medical providers in all area centers of responsibility, develops and assists in the rehabilitation quality management process and implements new and improved rehabilitation quality management processes.
- Familiarity with rules and regulations established by the relevant licensing, certification and accrediting bodies and must monitor and ensure compliance with the rules and regulations promulgated by these bodies.
- Develops a working knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the State Workers Compensation law, and how each may impact the therapists clinical practice.
- Promotes, supports and engages in projects with activities that will develop or improve occupational medicine services and overall teamwork within the centers.
- Meets with the Regional Therapy Director or the designee on a regular basis (not less than monthly) to discuss quality of patient care, procedures, records, review of new policies and other issues as indicated.
- Participates in professional continuing education relevant to Concentras patient population. Acquires professional continuing education hours in accordance with the
requirements set forth by the state in which the therapist practices, must acquire no less than 15 professional continuing education hours per year.
SCOPE MEASURES:BUDGET DOLLARS:NO OF PEOPLE SUPERVISED:DIRECTLY:INDIRECTLY:
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Concentra's Data Protection Commitment
- Concentra is committed to protect patient data and to ensure privacy of personal and medical information.
- Every Concentra colleague has the responsibility to adhere to data protection principles.
- If a colleague's role includes handling or processing sensitive data, role-specific policies and requirements apply to ensure the protection of patient information.
- Licensure requirements of jurisdiction.
- Three years of clinical experience without occupational health background or two years with occupational health background
This job requires access to confidential and sensitive information, requiring ongoing discretion and secure information management.
Concentra Inc. - 2 years ago
Concentra Managed Care, Inc. is the leading provider of healthcare management and cost containment services to the workers' compensation,...