As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 21,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. General Dynamics Information Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
General Dynamics IT has an immediate need for a Task Manager in a mid-sized federal agency in Washington, D.C.
This position serves as the manager for a technology Task Area within the customer's Information Technology department. This position manages and provides enterprise leadership in the operational, financial and personnel functions for the Task Area team. This position is responsible for the efficient and cost effective operation and support of major technologies utilized by internal and external customers.
This position is independently responsible for the technical leadership and strategic planning for all core systems, platform technologies, and associated operations and maintenance for the agency. This includes direct management of team leads (subordinate managers) and oversight the Task Area staffs, which may consist of system administrators, system engineers, network engineers, security analysts, deployment technicians, help desk technicians, software developers, requirements analysts, and training specialists. This position is responsible for planning, development, operation, security, maintenance and enhancement of custom-developed enterprise software solutions, custom-integrated COTS solutions, servers, networks, workstations and associated devices.
This position has overall responsibility for developing the operating budget, administering managerial controls and operational plans for the assigned Task Area. This position manages a staff of information technology professionals ranging from senior engineers, developers and project managers to junior technicians. This position reports directly to and is under the general guidance of the Program Manager.
As a member of the program management team, this position develops and implements policies, direction, strategic plans and long/short term initiatives for the assigned Task Area.
GOALS AND ACTIVITIES
Manage and Supervise Staff (50%)
Budget, Fiscal & Operational Management (30%)
- Direct work of team to achieve successful project outcomes
- Recruit and hire new employees according to personnel rules and laws
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to the team's processes, procedures and rules
- Direct, manage, mentor and coach employees
- Oversee the team and assign clear responsibilities and authority to all assigned personnel
- Initiate and recommend personnel actions to ensure appropriate allocation and compensation of assigned personnel
- Set clear objectives and standards for each employee's performance and conduct in-depth performance reviews based on those standards
- Implement and provide information about Equal Opportunity policies and procedures, harassment and discrimination policies and advancement opportunities for all assigned personnel
- Implement technical and personal development training plans for assigned staff to ensure they are well prepared to complete all current and future assignments
- Encourage and promote smooth working relationships among staff to improve both productivity and staff retention
Develop and Manage Policies and Plans (15%)
- Develop, justify and oversee annual budget for the assigned Task Area
- Work closely with financial analysts to continually adjust rates, control costs and add or delete services as necessary to ensure cost effective operations and excellent customer service
- Research and recommend technologies and tools to support the activities of the customer's enterprise IT environment
- Continuously analyze operational methods, integration & monitoring tools and support processes in order to maintain and improve the efficiency and stability of operations
- Conduct meetings with vendor and other support personnel to evaluate software, tools, support process and hardware errors and performance
- Provide operating, trend and statistical data reports as required
Technical and Professional Development (5%)
- Advise and assist the customer in the development of objectives for the assigned Task Area and provide appropriately detailed plans for accomplishment
- Serve as a member of the program management team and participate in the development of program-wide initiatives and plans
- Evaluate and critique operational plans, budget and analysis documents, and personnel initiatives of subordinate managers, as appropriate
- Work collaboratively with members of the team to ensure smooth operations and early settlement of misunderstandings
- Participate on both internal and external committees and councils, of both a technical and administrative nature, as assigned
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
- Keep fully abreast of hardware, operating systems, security, and support tool advances, particularly as they pertain to the assigned Task Area
- Participate in directed technical education as appropriate
- Regularly attend conferences and professional seminars and share best practices with peers
- 8-10 years of project/program management, IT operations, systems engineering, or related experience, including supervisory experience, with an emphasis on software development and/or infrastructure project management experience.
- Ability to apply generally accepted theories and principles of organization, administration and management to enterprise IT resources and personnel
- Familiarity with state and federal laws and guidelines pertaining to the hiring of new employees and the correct administrative management of existing employees
- Knowledge of staff planning, both long-range and short-term
- Knowledge of basic accounting, budgeting and rate setting practices and experience managing large operational budgets
- Ability to counsel, lead and direct technical staff and deal with conflict resolution and morale maintenance
- Knowledge of federal contracting regulations, RFP development and IT procurement practices
- Knowledge and experience in strategic business process and IT planning
- Ability to apply knowledge of various technologies, programming languages and processes to solve business problems
- Familiarity with networking technologies, enterprise storage technologies, server consolidation technologies, service oriented architectures, cloud computing technologies and disaster recovery technologies
- Experience in IT project management
- Knowledge of techniques used to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and customers
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in effective written, oral and interpersonal communications
- Ability to apply knowledge of ITILv3 service transition activities to ensure the successful hand-off of products or services to operations and maintenance functions
- Ability to apply knowledge of CMMI to ensure consistent, repeatable results
- Ability to apply advanced knowledge of Microsoft Project to develop and maintain project schedules
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Team Foundation Server
- Proficiency with Microsoft SharePoint and its use as a collaboration platform, workflow engine and document repository
- Familiarity with Federal Enterprise Architecture and Federal Service Oriented Architecture
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is required.
- ITIL (v3) Foundation in IT Service Management Certificate is desired, but not required for consideration.
Security Clearance Level
Security Clearance Basis
Security Clearance Polygraph
Job ID Number
Potential for Deployment
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT),...