In this position, the Country Director, AmeriCares Haiti will lead and manage AmeriCares program activities on the ground in Haiti, including medical assistance distribution, health system strengthening projects, and other post-emergency programs. The Country Director will conduct on-going partner assessment; identify immediate, mid- and long-term needs; carry forward and develop appropriate programming in line with AmeriCares mission, program objectives and resources; hire and supervise staff of up to twenty; and coordinate with other NGO partners and recovery efforts to best leverage and oversee AmeriCares efforts/expenditures in Haiti.
As AmeriCares most senior representative in Haiti, the Country Director will also continue to have responsibility for safety and security, regulatory affairs, and financial management.
The Country Director will be responsible for helping to further and implement AmeriCares post-earthquake program strategy.
Field Office Operations/Human Resource Management
- Develop and implement policies for field office operation, ensuring that policies are in line with local regulations and link to organizational policies and procedures.
- Develop local organizational structure as well as local staffing policy.
- Ensure compliance with all labor laws and laws governing operation as a registered NGO in Haiti.
- Participate in new staff selection.
- Provide leadership, promote professionalism and teamwork, build working relationships, advance staff development and capacity, and encourage staff members to work effectively as representatives of AmeriCares.
- Maintain skills, relationships and tools to enable effective field operations, including staff training and preparedness, stringer network, technology
Security, Health and Safety
Program Implementation and Evaluation
- Update, implement and adhere to security policies addressing local conditions.
- Coordinate security planning, monitoring, and systems with peer organizations, the UN system, and local authorities.
- Conduct regular discussions to identify and determine approaches to address staff’s stress levels and sense of security.
- Oversee gift-in-kind medical assistance distribution, including:
- Vetting local partners to assess the potential impact that additional medical resources could have (incl. gaps/needs, patient population, health services) and their capability to handle AmeriCares product donations consistent with AmeriCares standards
- Overseeing warehouse inventory management and logistics, including import/customs process
- Ensuring follow-up reporting and site visits to maintain documentation and collect feedback for AmeriCares donors
- Monitoring priority medical assistance requirements and coordinating supply chain planning with AmeriCares headquarters
- Implement and further scope additional projects and grants within the strategic vision of AmeriCares Haiti Earthquake recovery efforts, ensure programmatic responsiveness to the needs of the victims of the earthquake disaster
- Ensure projects meet budgeted and timeframe deadlines.
- Oversee grant disbursement including timely implementation of planned activities and appropriate expenditure of funds.
- Analyze results and outcomes of AmeriCares supported projects.
- Ensure compliance with local and international regulatory issues in program development and implementation.
- Coordinate activities of the program with HQ team and integrate with AmeriCares overall strategy wherever possible.
- Report to HQ in a timely and thorough way on all field office staff issues/incidents.
- Distribute regular reports to HQ on country and program activities.
- Obtain authorization from HQ for all new grants and contracts, local staff hiring and promotions, local policies and commitments of AmeriCares resources beyond approved limits (TBD).
- Haiti office compliance with HQ and local guidelines and requirements, including timely financial reporting to HQ as required.
- Ensure effective cash management, financial reporting and budgeting.
- Official representative of AmeriCares in all government and community affairs.
- Pursue responsible media coverage of events and programs related to AmeriCares efforts.
- Actively pursue coordination and working relationship with other NGOs and International Organizations.
Sustain AmeriCares delivery of gift-in-kind medical assistance, adapting program to evolving resource gaps in medical facilities/programs and changing import/customs regulations and practices
Continue to drive progress with existing initiatives and identify potential new projects and work closely with VP, Post-Emergency Programs and other AmeriCares Global Program leaders to structure new commitments
Ensure effective implementation of all projects, including organization of key tasks, timeline and trouble-shooting, partnership management, and reporting
Lead and maintain strong organization with culture of professionalism, personal initiative and teamwork
CORE AMERICARES MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
- Foster AmeriCares values of respect, collaboration & teamwork, trust, passion and commitment, compassion, and excellence.
- Coach, support and develop staff to increase individual and team effectiveness.
- Develop and manage implementation of plans to increase operating performance, including SOPs and other efficiency initiatives.
· Staff leadership experience – coordinating various roles and individuals to a common goal
· Extensive first-hand NGO programming experience in Haiti – ability to build and maintain partner relationships
· Financial and program reporting acumen
· Strong communication skills with the ability to tell both the data-driven and emotive story of AmeriCares Haiti work and impact
· Experience with and understanding of health needs of underserved populations/communities
· Excellent French and Haitian Creole language skills
· Ability to locate to Haiti for two + year assignment
· Strong ability to prioritize, delegate and monitor program and staff progress and performance
· Strong ability to engage colleagues in decision-making and report information to senior management
· Good judgment and excellent cultural sensitivity
AmeriCares - 17 months ago
AmeriCares is an emergency response and global health organization committed to helping many, more people live longer, healthier lives in...