Plan, organize, design, specify, evaluate, direct, implement and control project to procure and install new equipment and facilities, and to modify, maintain and improve existing equipment and facilities necessary to increase productivity while controlling maintenance costs.
• Develop plans, drawings, cost comparisons, project scopes and equipment lists consistent with directives and objectives of plant management.
• Prepares formal bid requests and work scopes for various vendors of equipment and services, evaluates the resulting bids for scope and appropriateness, recommending a vendor to management and ensures compliance with terms of contract.
• Assists the operating and maintenance departments in upgrading existing facilities to improve quality, safety and productivity.
• Designs and implements assigned projects in a timely and cost efficient manner and follows up to ensure satisfaction of the responsible operating department through training and written manuals.
• Ensures compliance with applicable Federal, State and local safety and environmental regulations by keeping abreast of changes in the laws.
• Directs, when applicable, the work of engineers and drafting personnel on assigned projects.
• Identifies and analyzes failures in operating and design methods to ensure safety and efficiency and makes suggestions and corrections to these failures.
• Performs economic evaluations of proposals and projects to forecast capital appropriations.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF POSITION:
The incumbent must be capable of writing technical specifications; design assignments on new and existing facilities; understanding and evaluating suppliers’ proposals and drawings; must be capable of planning, organizing and scheduling events with a project so that it is completed within an established budget and on schedule; must be capable of communicating technical concepts in non-technical language through media such as reports, schedules and personal presentations. An important aspect of this position is to maintain thorough communications within the Engineering Department, outside contractors, maintenance and production departments to ensure a clear understanding of the objectives the project is intended to achieve. The incumbent must be capable of training both maintenance and production personnel on proper operating and maintenance procedures of equipment that he has designed and installed, through classes and manuals, and gives direction to draftsmen.
The incumbent must have a technical knowledge of melting, casting, rolling and finishing procedures in order to document and report to the Chief Engineer and other departments with the objective of producing the highest quality product in a safe and efficient environment within allowable budgets. To accomplish this, the Senior Project Engineer must strive to keep abreast of advances in technology and products within their expertise; follow the crafts to ensure proper and accurate installation, making “field” changes or corrections as necessary.
Must work closely with the entire engineering staff, administrative management, maintenance and operating management to ensure the orderly and proper fulfillment of management directives; must also exercise supervisory control over project engineers, construction firms, as well as with equipment builders, Federal, State agencies of generation and/or approval of equipment specifications and designs and plant layouts. This includes drawing approvals and visits to vendors and engineers facilities to review design and fabrication progress. The incumbent must document his projects with progress reports, trip reports and minutes of meetings. Will give technical advice to Environmental Engineer.
The incumbent specifies the parameters of equipment to be purchased and interviews vendors as to their capabilities to produce equipment to the specifications. After reviewing vendor proposals with the Chief Engineer, initiates a request for purchase and is responsible to see that the equipment is built and delivered to specifications.
• Bachelors Degree in Engineering
• 5 years experience in specific field (Mechanical or Electrical)
• 3 years project management experience
• Experience in industrial equipment design and operation
• Skilled/Experienced in communication with vendors and plant management
• Steel Mill equipment design and operation
• Project Management Book of Knowledge (PMBOK)
• Certification in project management
Gerdau is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to diversifying its workforce. All applicants must be legally eligible to work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.
Gerdau - 14 months ago
Gerdau Ameristeel puts its stamp on the steel business in the US. The company is one of the largest minimill steelmakers in North America,...