Working under general supervision, analyze, define, and implement programming and software configuration tasks. Provide expertise in all matters related to the creation and maintenance of web pages and other materials comprising the Case School of Engineering (CSE) internet and intranet web sites. This position will act as part of a web development team that will work with clients and end-users to perform needs analysis, solutions conceptualization, project planning, and end-user training. Working collaboratively with team that includes Internet (front-end, user-interface) and database (back-end) programmers. CSE IT provides state-of-the-art computing support for the Case School of Engineering. CSE IT is a fast paced, highly technical, and humanly diverse entity which performs a vital role for the school with no latitude for a lack of mature, professional service to our clients.
2. Support Linux web servers (LAMP Stack) and provides system administration as needed.
3. Define requirements and develop solutions for end user website templates using a CMS, such as Drupal.
4. Provide web usage statistics to management using Google Analytics or similar tools.
5. Use web/database integration tools to develop new software and maintain existing software to support web-based interactions with school databases.
6. Assist with all aspects of coding (front and back end) of intranet and internet web areas designated for faculty, staff, and student use, including areas for school administrative sites, prospective students, faculty projects, student organizations, career management, recruiting, and personal home pages.
7. Research and provide recommendations in selecting or developing appropriate software development tools.
8. Implement security measures and monitors site for secure operation.
9. Select and implement software to gather, analyze, and report web usage patterns.
10. Responsible for testing of applications prior to release and ongoing support after release.
11. Perform system analysis to determine needs and application specifications.
12. Prepare detailed documentation in support of all developed applications.
1. Must keep up with advances in technology such that he/she remains an authority in all matters relating to Web development and programming. Take part in assigned training seminars or classes. Read trade magazines and attends computer trade shows to obtain current information about computer hardware and software.
2. Assist with providing training, workshops, and orientation materials to the engineering community.
3. Contact outside hardware and software vendors in order to diagnose and resolve technical software and hardware issues.
4. Assist with the production of CDs, digital video, and other media to support learning.
5. Periodically meet with technical staff at the university networking group (ITS) to familiarize with ongoing projects that may have a bearing on Web site and network related issues specific to CSE.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
Department: Meet on a regular basis with supervisor and the director to discuss status of projects. Daily contact with colleagues to collaborate on projects. Weekly contact with engineering faculty and staff regarding project development.
University: Occasional contact with ITS staff to consult on university standards and on possible collaboration between CSE IT and ITS.
External: Occasional contact with software vendors to evaluate software or troubleshoot third party software used by Engineering.
Students: Occasional contact with engineering students regarding project development or to assist in resolving student-related website issues.
Education and Experience: Associate's degree and 2 years related experience OR Bachelor's degree (preferably in Computer Science, Web Development, Information Technologies Management, or related technical degree) and no experience. Prefer some seminar training or other course work in programming, system analysis, web development or graphic design.
1. Must be capable of demonstrating a good understanding of application and web development.
2. Experience in interacting with a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students is highly desired.
3. Willing to be a team player that will communicate honestly and authentically about their skillsets and difficulties on projects. Mature, dependable, and responsible
4. Must be highly organized with a demonstrated ability to work with little or no supervision and be detail oriented
5. Must display sound, independent judgment, diplomacy, and tact in working with a variety of diverse individuals at all levels in the school
6. Ability to interact with diverse personalities and constituencies, demonstrated social skills and confidence, interest in and able to be friendly and helpful to all who call and/or enter the IT offices.
7. Ability to plan, sequence and integrate individual tasks with those of others
8. Willingness to work long hours, when necessary
9. Knowledge and understanding of a host of computer issues that will allow him/her to anticipate needs, respond to questions, address issues as they arise and carry out his/her functions most effectively with a minimum of supervision
10. Good sense of humor
11. Demonstrated understanding of best practices for software development. Understanding of dynamic web development and experience with a web/database integration tool such as the Drupal CMS, or other CMS is also required.
13. Knowledge of LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) web architecture
14. Knowledge of a CMS such as Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress. Experience with Drupal is a strong plus. Experience with Terminal Four is a plus.
15. Proficiency in a graphics design program is a plus. Web design experience is a plus.
16. Experience with a web/database integration tool such as PHP is highly essential. Experience with an object-oriented programming language such as Visual Basic or Java and associated scripting languages is a plus.
17. Experience building relational databases in any RDBMS and with stored procedures, functions, etc. is required. Experience with Oracle DB or Microsoft SQL is a plus.
18. Must demonstrate considerable familiarity with multimedia, CD-ROM, interactive GUI, and web-based products and services. Familiarity with a variety of telecommunications and network protocols is a plus.
19. Fluency with a variety of desktop office tools is required, as is the ability to quickly and easily add to these skills. In particular, skill with word processors, spreadsheets, graphics programs, presentation packages is expected.
20. Must be able to handle the pressure of a constantly changing stream of priorities.
General office environment. The employee will perform repetitive motion using computer mouse and keyboard to type.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity at 216-368-8877 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Case Western Reserve University - 2 years ago