With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF Climate Corps is Environmental Defense Fund’s innovative summer fellowship program that places specially trained MBA and MPA students in companies, cities and universities to build the business case for energy efficiency. If improving building energy efficiency were as simple as flipping a switch, organizations could easily cash in on big cost savings and emission reductions. Unfortunately, limited resources, information gaps and organizational barriers prevent many organizations from taking advantage of smart energy investments. EDF Climate Corps overcomes these barriers with ambitious young talent trained to develop customized energy efficiency investment plans for their host organizations. Since the program’s launch in 2008, EDF Climate Corps fellows have uncovered over a billion dollars in energy savings for participating organizations
EDF pioneered the NGO-corporate partnership model, and over the past twenty years has worked with leading companies such as Walmart, McDonald's, FedEx, and KKR to protect human health and the environment by reducing the lifecycle environmental impacts of products and services, and by incorporating environmental considerations into business culture and decision-making. Our projects are designed to achieve significant environmental results, generate business benefits for our corporate partners, and create new industry-wide best practices. For more information on our work, see edfbiz.org.
The Analyst reports to the Senior Manager, Strategy and plays a key role in the success of EDF Climate Corps, which EDF has ambitious plans to scale up over the next five years. The Analyst's primary responsibility is to lead EDF Climate Corps' strategy to accelerate progress towards implementation of effective energy management. In coordination with the team, the analyst will develop and implement a plan to advocate for and track progress on leading practices for energy management within top tier EDF Climate Corps host organizations, by applying analytical, consulting and organizational development skills to the initiative. The analyst will strengthen and leverage relationships with hosts and partners, develop and oversee administration of tools, analyze relevant data from tools, collaborate with another analyst to manage consultants, and participate in in key operations of the fellowship program. The Analyst works closely with the rest of the EDF Climate Corps team to deliver a consistently high quality fellowship experience for hosts and fellows, and to leverage the results and relationships developed through EDF Climate Corps to advance EDF’s climate and energy goals.
Recruit hosts based on selection criteria, manage host relationships, and develop project workplans
Recruit talented graduate students from target universities
Review final reports and vet results from engagements to determine program outcomes
Track the implementation of energy-savings measures recommended by fellows
Track and evaluate program results through surveys, project data analysis, and after-action reviews
- Lead effort to advocate for and track progress on leading practices in energy management in EDF Climate Corps host organizations
- Lead development, application, and verification of the Virtuous Cycle of Organizational Energy Efficiency
- Lead development of energy management toolkit, which includes tools to on-board EDF Climate Corps fellows and advocate for effective energy management
- Develop agenda for annual network event and other content for network activities, in coordination with colleagues leading network activities
- Define, extract, and analyze data from fellow recommendations and barriers surveys in order to identify trends, learnings, and outcomes, in coordination with rest of team
- Create content for training and summer resources for fellows related to organizational change
- Measure and evaluate success of programs, in coordination with rest of team
- Conduct research on data and trends to keep EDF Climate Corps relevant within the external energy management context
- Manage 10-20 EDF Climate Corps summer engagements and support all tasks related organizing and administering the summer fellowships, such as:
- Communicate program results to internal and external stakeholders through meetings, reports, media and online outreach, conferences, presentations, and other methods; and
- Work with EDF’s marketing and communications staff to promote Climate Corps, including supporting media outreach and developing marketing materials.
We are seeking a highly organized and analytical self-starter with a passion for organizational change. We are looking for an academic or professional background in the business, organizational development and/or environmental sectors. Other qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's degree in business, economics, statistics, finance, policy, organizational development, or environmental science;
- 3+ years of work experience working in the corporate environment, organizational development, consulting, and/or the building energy efficiency field
- Strong analytical skills, including statistical analysis and interest in performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience, and excellent ability to build strategic relationships;
- Exceptional personal organization, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task;
- Project management experience and/or a demonstrated ability to use independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload;
- An ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment;
- Basic knowledge of the business implications of environmental issues, building energy efficiency, and climate and energy policy, especially as it relates to organizational decision-making and organizational change;
- Willingness to travel (up to 20% of the time);
- Strong proficiency in the use of IBM PCs, the Microsoft Office suite of software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint), database programs, and Salesforce.com;
- Sales experience a plus.
This position will be located in San Francisco, CA.
This position is a 3 year term position. Upon conclusion of the term, the term may be renewed based on funding and programmatic need
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Environmental Defense Fund - 18 months ago