Job Description Summary
The Custodian is responsible for performing all routine cleaning, servicing, and restocking of supplies in assigned building. Also, responsible for any other cleaning needed as assigned.
- Performs all routine cleaning, servicing, and restocking of supplies in assigned building.
- Sweeps, mops, vacuums, cleans rest rooms, washes windows and walls and other duties as assigned, using prescribed procedures. This could include offices, residence halls, and other campus buildings.
- Removes trash to designated areas, sanitizes, and re-lines waste containers as needed.
- Responsible for detail work such as polishing brass, stainless steel, drinking fountains, dusting ledges, corners, baseboards, and all furniture without disturbing customers’ personal belongings.
- Follows proper recycling procedures; reports damages noticed in assigned areas, or other items that may not be working properly; changes all burned out light bulbs.
- Cleans and supports special events on campus; shovels snow and sands entrance of buildings, as well as assisting with snow removal on campus during winter months.
- Follows key sign-in and sign-out procedures; implements technical and safety methods as instructed by his or her supervisor.
- Uses all chemicals in accordance with the chemicals material safety data sheets to prevent property damage and safety to self.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as required.
At least 6 months of previous cleaning experience desired.
Valid unrestricted U.S. Driver’s License, with an insurable driving history as determined by Babson’s insurance carrier; must successfully complete and pass the Babson College vehicle training program within the first 30-60 days of employment; will attend safety training as required by management.
Additional Required Skills & Abilities
- Must be able to function well in a team/community environment, displaying common courtesies and politeness. Frequently interacts with students, teachers, co-workers, administrators and government officials.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and procedures, materials and equipment and ability to operate mechanical cleaning equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with supervisors, fellow workers, students and faculty members.
- Must be flexible and willing to work alone, as well as in a team and in different shifts if needed.
A. Physical Environment:
- Ability to work weekends, overtime, and during special events as needed.
B. Physical Demands
- Regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
- Occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, precarious places, hazardous chemicals, outside weather conditions and extreme heat.
- Occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- Usually moderate noise level.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear, and smell.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Regularly climb and/or balance up to 10 feet, and occasionally climb and or balance up to 20 feet.
- Regular use of close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Babson College - 23 months ago