Under general supervision, counsels and assists veterans, their dependents and survivors in applying for all veterans entitlement programs in accordance with Title 38 US Code of Federal Regulations, state and federal policies, procedures, and guidelines. Performs related duties as directed.
1. Interview and counsel clients concerning all veterans benefit entitlement programs.
a. Accurately determines whether benefits sought is authorized and if the client meets eligibility requirements.
b. Interviews veterans in a courteous and professional manner to gather claims related information according to established policy and procedure.
c. Provides a clear, concise, and factual response, as to appropriate course of action in a courteous and professional manner.
d. Refers clients to other appropriate state and federal agencies.
2. Maintains knowledge of trends and changes in laws by reading appropriate regulations, laws and other literature and attends seminars and conferences pertaining to veterans benefits.
a. Regularly attends seminars and meetings to stay abreast of current changes in veterans benefits.
b. Reads appropriate material to maintain knowledge of current laws, rules, regulations, and administrative guidelines relating to adjudication of veterans claims and benefits.
c. Maintains current knowledge of available services rendered by federal and state human service delivery agencies.
3. Establishes and maintains a working relationship with the public, community, veterans organizations, and elected officials.
a. Performs duties in a courteous, cheerful, and professional manner at all times.
b. Demonstrates excellent communication skills to effectively maintain relationships with local, state, and federal officials, other agencies, and other state employees.
c. Communicates clear and expeditious responses to inquiries received from individuals, public officials, other agencies, and other state employees.
d. Resolves problems between the veteran and other agencies in a timely manner and according to established policy.
4. Assists office manager with functional responsibilities as directed.
a. In the absence of the office manager, assists with functional operational responsibilities.
b. Reviews and analyzes reports and correspondence as requested recommending corrections as appropriate.
c. Schedules and coordinate meetings and travel arrangements to avoid scheduling conflicts.
5. Collaborate with VA Medical Center personnel to assure veterans are receiving timely uninterrupted medical care and benefits.
a. Processes field office requests for services for out of area veterans in a timely manner in accordance to established policies
b. Resolves problems between the veteran and VA Medical Center personnel in a timely manner using established policies and procedures
6. Provides administrative support for regular office operation and special projects.
a. Prepares and types accurate reports, forms, etc.
b. Establish and maintain a well organized and accurate filing system.
c. Regularly monitors supply inventory; and requisitions when necessary.
7. Perform duties and responsibilities as Office Manager.
1. Knowledge of principles and processes for providing services.
2. Ability to listen, understand and communicate with others.
3. Ability to analyze, interpret and disseminate information.
Minimum Training & Experience: Completion of two years of college level coursework in any field and six months of clerical level experiene that included typing or word processing and interviewing.
Agency Specific Qualifications and/or Preferred Qualifications: Bachelor degree from an accredited four-year institution, preferably in the fields of Psychology, Education, Counseling, Business, or Sociology.
Exam & Evaluation Information: Formal interview.
Additional Information: Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All qualified applicants will be considered, but may not necessarily receive an interview. Selected applicants will be contacted for next steps in the selection process. Applicants who are not selected will not receive notification.
This position is subject to close at any time once a satisfactory applicant pool has been identified.
If you are a veteran, DO NOT submit a DD-214 or any VA-related documentation. If selected for interview, you will be informed to bring this data.
Georgia Careers - 2 years ago