- U of M undergraduate student, must be able to work during summer break, and have at least two years of school left before graduation.
- Available to work a minimum of 15 hours/wk during normal Physics-IT business hours.
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting computer equipment and software using Windows or Linux.
- Experience with Linux or FreeBSD systems; and with scripting languages such as bash and perl.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people and communicate clearly.
- Past work experience in academic or corporate research computing environments.
- High level of resourcefulness, and ability to quickly learn new areas of computing or networking.
- Experience with networked computers such as Windows desktops using Active Directory or Linux using LDAP and NFS is a plus.
This position will be part of the School of Physics and Astronomy staff, providing systems administration and user support for faculty, staff and students. With experience will come opportunities to work on more challenging projects, such as grid computing, systems automation, and application development.
Initial duties are:
40% general systems administration tasks, including installing or moving equipment, diagnosis and fixing system problems.
40% Technical support by email, phone or in-person; consultation with faculty and staff
20% General projects and skills development
The School of Physics and Astronomy is a unit in the College of Science and Engineering. More information at www.physics.umn.edu
On-line applications only. Please provide a resume and references with complete contact information.
The University of Minnesota shall provide equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Does this position require a background check?
University of Minnesota - 14 months ago