Under the supervision of the Resettlement Director, the ESL instructor leads the IRC’s education programming in Wichita. He/she provides humanitarian entrants with contextualized instruction that gives clients the English language skills they need to effectively participate in the English-speaking environment in which they live, particularly the skills needed to obtain and retain employment and achieve self-sufficiency. The ESL instructor also ensures client data is collected and managed to effectively report on grant-funded programs.
- Provide content-based English language instruction at beginning, intermediate and/or advanced levels.
- Develop and implement engaging lesson plans that assist students in meeting their goals and offer a variety of instructional methods adapted to diverse learning styles.
- Supervise volunteer assistant teachers and tutors
- Incorporate job readiness into ESL classroom instruction.
- Design and administer student assessment tools that gauge student learning and monitor achievement of performance outcomes.
- Create a welcoming environment that fosters community and learning among program participants.
- Submit weekly lesson plans and/or bi-weekly unit plans that address material to be covered in class.
- Assist with registration, intake and pre- and post-testing as needed
- Assist with reporting requirements as needed
- University degree (B.A.) required with TESL certification, plus at least one year of teaching experience.
- Thorough, detailed knowledge and understanding of English grammar with the ability to clearly explain all verbs, tenses and parts of speech.
- Ability to interact with diverse ethnic populations and empathize with people unfamiliar with local culture.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member in a multi-cultural environment
- Ethical and professional conduct that facilitates the building of a respectful, trusting and collaborative relationship with program staff and students.
International Rescue Committee - 18 months ago
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their...