This is highly responsible accounting work in the maintenance, review, processing, and auditing of financial records and reports. An employee in this class maintains accounts or ensures accounts are in compliance with federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations. Duties may also include computerized processing, which may include Oracle or other relational databases, maintenance, reporting, and analysis of complex financial records. Work may involve assistance in development of procedures or techniques to meet specialized needs of the department. Duties may include supervising subordinate clerical personnel. Duties are performed in accordance with County laws and established policy and procedures.
Minimum Qualifications • 4 years experience in technical accounting work; or
Appointing Authority May Also Require: • A Florida Driver’s License or Florida Commercial Driver’s License and endorsement, if any.
- Associate’s degree in accounting, finance, business (or 2 years of related college level education) and 2 years in technical accounting work; or
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or other related field; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
Highly Desirable Experience with Oracle, WebExtender, and NexGen for accounting functions including experience with uploading and downloading data from those systems in order to perform data reconciliations, but also with analyzing system issues and determining corrective action for these applications. Extensive history with regard to special projects, system testing, training, and reconciliations using automated accounting systems. Work Performed • Assists in the maintenance of accounting records according to established account classifications including cash books, subsidiary journals and general ledgers; posts entries from supporting records; makes adjusting entries; prepares statements from accounting records for review.
- Assignment to work a variety of work schedules including compulsory work periods in special, emergency, and/or disaster situations.
- Other highly desirable knowledge, skills, abilities, and credentials relevant to a position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities • Knowledge of accounting principles, procedures and practices.
- Monitors expenditures for capital outlay; sets up yearly books; determines accounts to be used; recommends budget transfers.
- Develops, prepares and monitors the department budget; reviews, audits and approves expenditures.
- Prepares purchase requisitions, which includes amounts, general description, suggested vendor; prepares detailed bid specifications for capital outlay equipment, service contracts and agreements.
- Monitors and verifies data entered into an automated accounting system; ensures accuracy of data for reports produced.
- May perform data processing related duties including using available statistical packages or programs encoding data which may include Oracle or other relational data bases, data entry and retrieval and routine computer terminal operations and programming/reprogramming.
- Researches and conducts specialized studies; makes recommendations to immediate supervisor.
- May supervise subordinate clerical and technical staff involved in payroll preparation, personnel transactions, as well as supporting accounting and budgetary functions.
- Coordinates the activities of volunteer personnel as needed within the section or department.
- Audits progress payments for construction projects, prepare pay estimates and retainage logs.
- Revise, develop, coordinate, and implement policies and procedures pertaining to associated areas.
- May assist with training and directing various levels of personnel within the county structure as to correct methods and procedures to follow.
- Performs related work as assigned or required.
- Knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations controlling budgetary record keeping for governmentagencies.
- Knowledge of auditing methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of data processing, principles, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to assist in preparation of accounting reports and statements.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to work under pressure and under a heavy workload.
- Ability to analyze transactions, identify errors, and make adjusting journal entries when necessary.
- Ability to interpret oral and written instructions.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to provide information and instructions correctly and concisely, orally and in writing.
Pinellas County, FL - 13 months ago