Works in the field recording water meter readings, locating and uncovering water meters, cleaning out debris and any accumulated water from meter boxes and reporting metering abnormalities.
Position will be stationed at 9312 N 94th St, Scottsdale, AZ.
Education and Experience:
A high school diploma or GED equivalent and any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
A valid driver license with no major driving citations within the past 39 months may be required.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service assignment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Simple arithmetic calculations.
Basic computer operations/navigation.
Traffic laws, ordinances and rules involved in motor vehicle operation.
Microsoft Office products and other relevant technologies.
Write legibly and comprehend and make inferences from written material and verbal and/or written instructions.
Read and interpret street and aerial maps to locate routes and water meters.
Refer citizens to appropriate customer service personnel for problem/complaint resolution.
Learn and use geography and street locations of the City.
Make mathematical calculations and draw logical conclusions.
Listen, communicate and work effectively with a diverse group of people.
Proficiently perform computerized data entry of information.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public.
Complete required OSHA/Safety Training.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Reads meters, records water meter readings and meter condition codes in a hand-held computer.
- Locates and reads buried or flooded meters.
- Cleans meter boxes.
- Turns water meters on or off in prescribed manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
- Seldom sedentary and includes walking or moving for extended periods and long distances.
- Bend and stoop repeatedly.
- Use hand tool to lift and move meter box lid weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Walks for long distances, bends and stoops repeatedly, uses hand tool to lift and removes and replaces meter box lid, walks to next box or vehicle, drives from meter location to meter location and exits and enters the vehicle repeatedly.
- Properly maintains and safely operates a City motor vehicle utilizing both unleaded fuel and CNG. Rural meter reading routes require extensive driving and exiting and re-entering the vehicle at each meter location.
- Sit for extended periods of time while driving a City vehicle maintaining constant vigilance to the surrounding area.
- Work around insects, reptiles and animals that are confronted along a route.
- Most work is performed outside or in a motor vehicle, with some work performed in a normal City office environment.
- Access paved, gravel or turf and uneven areas; climb elevations.
- Visual and muscular dexterity to operate a motor vehicle, hand held computer, hand tools and office computer.
- Regular exposure to dust, pollen, inclement weather, temperature extremes and unpleasant odors; traffic hazards.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including computer, telephone, calculator, copy and fax machine requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Operate a motor vehicle and travel to/from various City locations.
- Work flexible hours to meet department requirements.
City of Scottsdale - 24 months ago