GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: Brigham and Women’s Hospital is dedicated to:
• serving the needs of our local and global community
• providing the highest quality health care to patients and their families
• expanding the boundaries of medicine through research
• educating the next generation of health care professionalBrigham and Women’s Hospital is committed to putting every Patient First. Every employee plays a role in providing a positive impact on patients and the care they receive at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. Your work will be distinguished by the delivery of high-quality and safe patient care, respect and dignity in all interactions with patients, families and colleagues and by customer service excellence.
All employees are expected to embrace this commitment and demonstrate behavioral competencies in the following areas: People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respectSelf Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and developmentOrganization: A commitment to quality, service and exceptional performance
Meeting these expectations is key to the success of your department and the organization.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform administrative duties under minimal supervision at the highest proficiency level.
• Provides direct support to Division Chief, Director or Administrator
• Work is highly complex, non-repetitive and often project oriented,
• Ability to problem solves and determine best course of action with little direction.
• Act as a lead, assign and prioritize workflow, troubleshoot issues, assist with training and orientation, and provide backup support for the Supervisor.
• May direct workflow and lead others. Mentor other staff.
• Work on projects, coordinate work, take initiative using all available resources, follow through on issues when needed, apply knowledge as appropriate with little direction from Supervisor.
• Track expense budgets, perform basic bookkeeping tasks and create financial reports.
• Track and analyze financial and productivity data; set up databases.
• Assist with training and orienting staff as needed.
• Provide cross coverage as needed.
• Assist with special projects as directed.
• Follow HIPAA guidelines for the management of patient privacy and confidentiality.
• Other duties, as assigned
JOB SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Provides direct support to Division Chief, Director or AdministratorPerform administrative duties under minimal supervision at the highest proficiency level.Organize faculty travel arrangements as needed.Process employee reimbursements in a timely manner.Update faculty member’s curriculum vitae on a monthly basis.Assist the Administrative Director as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: Level of education required:
• Minimum of a high school diploma or GED.Work experience required:
• Minimum three years medical office or administrative support experience required.
• Some additional training in office systems or other post high school education preferred. Associate’s Degree or higher level education preferred, but not required.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: Technical skills required:
• Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
• Understanding of procedures including filing, copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
• Highly proficient in all communication skills (phone, verbal and written). Ability to handle sensitive information and situations with poise and professionalism.
• Organization Skills:
- Strong organizational, coordination and judgment skills.
- Ability to prioritize effectively.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, following established protocols, and work within systems.
• System Skills:
- Advanced computer skills.
- Ability to use all applicable applications at highest competency level.
• Ability to problem solves and troubleshoots. Ability to analyze a situation and determine best course of action within established guidelines.
• Advanced understanding and use of medical terminology.
• Advanced comprehension of billing and fiscal information.
• Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA.
JOB SPECIFIC SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: 1. Ability to process and manage time-sensitive information in a timely manner.
2. Ability to process and track employee reimbursements.
3. Ability to gather publication data from PubMed and other on-line resources.
4. Ability to coordinate and communicate educational conference activities on behalf of the Division.
5. Ability to closely manage the Division Chief’s calendars for all travel, meetings, etc.
BWH Behavioral Competencies 1. People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respectInclusiveness : Maintain an environment where individuals value and respect differences in all situations. Stand firm against intolerance and bias to create a welcoming environment and respect all individuals regardless of race, gender identity, ethnicity, language, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental ability, religion, socio-economic status, or national origin.
• Work effectively with others who have diverse perspectives, talents, roles, backgrounds and/or styles
• Contribute to a positive team environment where differences are respected, supported and are free from stereotyping and offensive comments
• Be professional when approached about behaviors that might be perceived as disrespectfulOpen Communication: The ability to effectively articulate and receive information in a clear, concise and timely manner.
• Practice active listening skills
• Foster and maintain an environment that respects open dialogue, differences of opinion, as well as diverse communication styles
• Ensure that information is shared in a clear, accurate, and timely manner using the appropriate communication method for your audience
• Express oneself clearly and professionally in your verbal, non-verbal, written, and electronic communicationBuilding Collaborative Relationships: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve organizational goals.
• Take initiative to support others and build productive relationships that will lead to a cohesive workplace
• Interact effectively with other team members, departments and customers to accomplish organizational goalsOrganizational Awareness: Understand how one’s own work affects the organization as a whole and demonstrate a commitment to the organizational goals.
• Support and respect BWH’s mission, vision, values and history
• Understand and recognize how your individual role and department impacts the organization2. Self Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and developmentEmbracing Change: Demonstrate adaptability and openness to organizational changes needed to improve effectiveness and goals.
• Support and positively participate in organizational and/or job specific changes
• Initiate appropriate action when change is needed
• Be flexible and open to new ideas
• Adapt to shifting priorities
Learning Oriented: Predisposed to pursue learning opportunities even outside own comfort zone, one stays abreast of new tools and methods, rising to add value and build challenge in current assignments.
• Demonstrate openness to learning from successes and failures
• Recognize and participate in learning opportunities
• Seek and share best practicesProfessionalism: Practice respect for self and others; and adhere to BWH standards, policies, and procedures at all times.
• Adhere to BWH’s Code of Conduct, Guide to Ethical Standards, policies and procedures
• Align behavior with the organizational mission and values
• Practice respect in accordance to the BWH standards
• Demonstrate responsibility, reliability, and trustworthiness3. Organization: A commitment to quality, service and exceptional performanceQuality and Safety Focus: Responsible for meeting standards of performance or outcomes in a safe manner while avoiding risks.
• Align job performance with quality and safety standards (e.g. The Joint Commission, BWH and department specific standards)
• Adhere to established policies and procedures
• Take action to prevent errors
• Identify and report adverse events, errors and incidentsEfficiency and Performance Improvement: Systematic approach to improve performance by eliminating waste, non-value added activities and variability in processes.
• Participate in process and performance improvement by identifying, analyzing, and enhancing existing processes to achieve better outcomes
• Maximize available resources to achieve performance measures; reduce waste, rework, and work-arounds consistent with one’s roleProblem Solving: Able to gather appropriate data and diagnose the cause of the problem before taking action; and if necessary develop alternative courses of action.
• Recognize actual and potential problems and take appropriate action towards a solution
• Offer assistance, as needed, when a potential problem situation is observed
• Use good judgment to keep manager informed of problems or issues, following department practiceService Excellence: Focusing one’s efforts towards anticipating, meeting and exceeding the expressed and unexpressed needs or expectations of internal and external customers.
• Apply service standards consistently to present a positive image of BWH to colleagues, health providers, patients, families, and visitors:
• Engage with positive greetings and active listening
• Empathize by expressing understanding
• Educate throughout the information exchange
• Enlist thoughts and ideas from others4. General/Administrative Support: Information Gathering: Identify and seek information needed to clarify a situation. Ask questions to discover the facts.
• Identify specific information needed to clarify a situation or to make a decision.
• Probe skillfully to get at the facts
An EEO, AA, VEVRAA Employer
Brigham and Women's Hospital
- 2 years ago - save job
For over 150 years, Brigham and Women’s Hospital has been the birthplace of legendary medicine. A merger of three of Harvard’s...