Are you a software engineer with strong feelings about the Oxford comma? Do you like reading technical books and maybe even want to write one? Have you ever considered writing an O’Reilly book?
Oblong Industries is looking for a writer who has trained as a software engineer to document our g-speak software development kit (SDK). In this position, you will create lots of well written, accurate, and understandable content describing our SDK at both high and low levels. You will organize that content into a coherent story that explains the different pieces of our SDK individually, as well as how those pieces fit together.
We care about the design of what we make, whether code or documentation. In this position you will help express a coherent design through all our documentation, whether in print or on screen.
In addition to being a great writer with an excellent sense of organization, you will also need to be a capable software developer who can dive into code, understand it, compile it, run it, and test bits of sample code that you write. You will need great interpersonal skills, as you will be interacting with engineers across many development teams to learn about the software they write.
Job responsibilities include:
Our ideal candidate will have a high level of proficiency in these areas:
- Talking to engineers and reading software code to completely understand all aspects of our software development kit and how different software components fit together
- Writing high- and low-level documentation content, using tools like Javadoc, Doxygen, Rdoc, word processors, etc.
- Formatting documentation for the web using HTML and CSS
- Formatting documentation for print using tools such as Adobe InDesign
- Maintaining our design standards across all output formats
- Writing small amounts of working sample code, as needed
To apply for this position, be sure to include samples of technical prose writing in addition to your well-documented software projects.
- Demonstrated ability to write and organize large amounts of technical content
- Basic familiarity with at least one of these programming languages: C, C++, Java, orRuby
- 2-5 years experience working as a software developer
- Comfort with UNIX, OS X, and Windows environments
- High degree of comfort editing raw HTML and CSS
Oblong Industries - 10 months ago
Oblong Industries is the developer of the g-speak spatial operating environment.
The SOE's combination of gestural i/o, recombinant networ...