THIS IS A TEMPORARY POSITION EXPECTED TO BEGIN MAY 13 AND END OCTOBER 18, 2013
An Environmental Health Specialist I performs specialized technical public health work in the control of health hazards within the City. The primary objective of the work is to protect the public's health and safety by conducting mosquito trappings and surveillance activities. Work involves both enforcement and advisory services on environmental health matters. Field work is performed independently in accordance with well established guidelines and standards. Unusual or difficult situations are referred to a supervisor.
- Mosquito Surveillance: Sets and retrieves mosquito traps; identifies mosquitoes trapped; tests mosquitoes for West Nile virus; enters mosquito data into Excel database.
- Larviciding of Catch Basins: Applies larvicides to storm water catch basins. Mosquito Population Reduction: Identifies mosquito breeding habitats in the City; locates sites on maps; conducts periodic surveillance of breeding sites; identifies larvae found; enters surveillance data into database; applies larvicides to mosquito breeding sites.
- Citizen Education and Complaint Response: Responds to resident inquiries and complaints about mosquitoes; conducts property surveys for mosquito breeding areas as requested by residents; educates citizens about how to eliminate mosquito breeding areas and how to prevent mosquito-borne illness.
- Community Outreach: Conducts community outreach on vector control issues; helps develop static displays and informational materials.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
Two-Year College Degree; working towards a BS in Environmental Health or one of the sciences; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Good working knowledge of the theories, concepts, and principles of entomology with an emphasis on mosquito control; bachelor's degree in Biology with emphasis in entomology; skilled in mosquito identification; knowledge of standard laboratory methods and equipment ; intermediate computer skills including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access; verbal and written communication skills including ability to write letters and reports and ability to develop informational materials for citizens. Licensed as a certified pesticide applicator in Virginia.
City of Alexandria, VA - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard