Job Number: 2013-00028
Performs work that involves handling and shelving of library materials in an accurate and timely manner. Maintains the general order of the library by straightening the books and materials on shelves and by keeping floors and tables clean and orderly.
Examples of Duties:
Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities
Any of the following duties may be performed. These examples are not necessarily performed by all incumbents, however, and do not include all specific tasks an incumbent may be expected to perform.
- Shelves and maintains order of materials.
- Moves, distributes and assists with processing of incoming and outgoing materials manually and using materials handling equipment.
- Assists with opening, maintaining and closing libraries, including equipment and grounds activities.
- Prepares rooms for meetings and assures that accessories needed for meetings are available.
- Inspects materials for damages and processes accordingly.
- Assists with program setup and takedown.
- Assists with displays and assigned projects and programs.
- Provides minimal directional assistance to patrons. Refers other questions.
- Participates in activities such as committee work, training, staff meetings, etc.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Desired Minimum Qualification:
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience, which allows the successful performance of the job.
Necessary Knowledge Ability and Skills:
- Some knowledge of the organization of library materials.
- Some knowledge of computer functions.
- Read English and sort in alphanumeric order.
- Learn the Dewey Decimal System.
- Work independently and take initiative in completing work assignments.
- Use interpersonal skills and use common courtesy and tact when dealing with staff members and patrons.
- Work accurately and efficiently.
- Manage time to maximize productivity.
- Handle the physical aspects of the job such as pushing/pulling book carts, lifting and carrying boxes of books, reaching and stooping with several books in hand.
- Understand and follow verbal and written instruction.
- Communicate effectively with a diverse population.
- Organizing and sequencing tasks and projects to maximize efficiency.
- Establishing priorities.
- Observing or paying attention to details.
- Handling library materials properly to minimize damage.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The position requires constant standing, walking, close attention to detail (reading), handling and grasping. The position also requires frequent kneeling, bending, reaching and feeling. The position is required to push and pull 100 pound carts and lift boxes weighing up to 40 pounds.
Work is performed primarily indoors though the position is required to remove debris from parking or landscaped areas. Almost all tasks involve continuous standing. May encounter situations that involve behavioral issues. Varied work hours, including weekends and evenings, which may change periodically.
King County Library System - 21 months ago