Product Development Engineer
Coordinates and implements the development, design and documentation for manufacture of new and improved disposable surgical devices or related medical products. Plans and coordinates activities of Product Development Engineers, Product Designers, Draftsmen, Technicians and other cross-functional resources assigned to the product development project team.
Summary of Position with General Responsibilities:
- Co-partner with Marketing to identify and develop new product concepts and determine feasibility.
- On a total project management responsibility basis, plans, implements and/or supervise the development and design of new medical devices or improves the existing product line.
- Determines design objectives and assures design meets program objectives.
- Responsible for managing project schedules.
- Contact with the prototype development lab and outside shops for fabrication of prototype molds, tooling and prototype product components and assembly.
- Supervises in-house personnel or outside shops in assembly of prototype products for clinical evaluation and field-testing.
- Works concurrently with Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing and Quality Engineering groups in starting up production of new and improved products.
- Schedules and conducts Product Design Review meetings.
- Make recommendations and assists Manufacturing Engineering groups in selecting equipment and developing processes for manufacturing new and improved products.
- Researches outside market for information on new materials and processes related to the design and the improvement of the Davol product lines.
- Responsible for reviewing and analyzing costs, on a continuing basis, in order to identify, plan and implement cost improvements; participate in Davol’s Cost Management Program as assigned.
Additional Desirable Qualifications Skills and Knowledge:
- BS Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or Electrical Engineering degree required.
- For Sr. Product Development Engineer: Five years experience with B.S. degree or three years experience with Masters degree as Product Design Engineer, Mechanical Engineer or Product Development Engineer in electro-mechanical design and assembly. For Product Development Engineer: Minimum of two years experience with B.S. degree or one year experience with Masters degree as Product Design Engineer, Mechanical Engineer or Product Development Engineer in electro-mechanical design and assembly.
- Must be able to handle a variety of projects at the same time.
- Good verbal and written communication with all levels of technical and operating management.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
MS Degree preferred.
Experience in medical device industry strongly preferred.
Broad knowledge and use of medical devices strongly preferred.
Knowledge of GMP’s, current FDA Medical Devices legislation and regulations strongly preferred.
C. R. Bard - 17 months ago
C. R. Bard is no upstart in the world of medical devices. The company has been in the business for more than a century and introduced the...