The Communications Department handles external communications, including branding and identity, outreach to media and other stakeholders, the Web site, all corporate publications, events, and assisting staff with communication needs Position Summary: The Senior Vice President for Communications is responsible for all external communications activities, including developing communications strategy, managing brand and identity, traditional and new media and stakeholder outreach, publications, special events, copywriting, Web site, photography/video. S/he will advise senior management on communications and serve as member of Senior Management Group, providing direction on corporate activities and policies and provide extensive support to AED staff on project, center and group publications, Web sites, exhibit materials and media.
Essential Job Functions: • Set direction for AED communications activities in line with our mission, vision, and values
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job. Education: Masters in one of the following or related fields: Communications required or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Experience: 15 year(s) of relevant experience required
- Manage, mentor, and grow staff to carry out direction in keeping with our mission
- Advise CEO and colleagues on communications issues
- Set direction on corporate policy as member of senior management group
- Develop and manage department budget
- Create systems for effective and efficient department operation
- Develop corporate messaging
- Responsible for developing and communicating AED’s identity and brand to staff and stakeholders
- Responsible for identifying and pursuing opportunities to communicate AED’s work and priorities through multiple channels, including print, broadcast, and electronic media.
- Serve as a resource for AED staff members who interact with the press and provide training
- Oversee AED’s Web site, including content development, site design and traffic reporting
- Responsible for producing the AED Annual Report and other corporate publications and for providing publications support to Groups, Centers and projects
- Oversee development of creative products, including, advertising; photography, video, corporate presentations and other visual support and exhibit materials.
- Provide support for special events
Specific Knowledge Requirements:
Special Requirements: This job will require a criminal background check. Skills: Must be able to use/perform the following: WordPerfect / MS Word, Language Arts, Typing
- Should possess sound news judgment
- Should possess knowledge and understanding of traditional and new media
- Experience applying design standards
- Must be proficient in all forms of written communication
- Experience in wide variety of communications and promotion activities
- Should be knowledgeable about diversity competency and cross-cultural communication
- Must demonstrate excellence in leadership in technical area and in developing and implementing organizational goals
- Should have the capacity to learn and understand the breadth of AED’s activities and programs
- Ability to translate organization identity and priorities into multiple formats, including visual, electronic, video, and print
- Ability to quickly assess technical information to identify main points for a non-technical audience
- Should possess ability to manage and motivate teams and build relationships with staff on all levels to support department activities
- Must be a strategic thinker and planner
AED - 2 years ago
Founded in 1961, AED is an independent, nonprofit organization committed to solving critical social problems in the U.S. and throughout the...