To provide clinical direction of patient care and clinical staff in accordance with policies, procedures and guidelines, OSHA, CMS, federal, state and local regulations. Initiate, monitor, and discontinue hemodialysis treatments. To implement the physicians orders accurately and efficiently. Lab testing responsibilities, where applicable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties and responsibilities generally reflect the expectations of this position but are not intended to be all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervise and perform direct patient care, including, but not limited to, taking/monitoring vital signs, initiation and termination of dialysis, documentation, physical assessment of patients and patient treatments, taking and transcription of physician’s orders, drawing and documentation of ordered laboratory work
- Note any signs of trauma, patients’ general physical and mental condition, review of dialysis orders, document observations in patient records legibly
- Analyze patient assessments, laboratory data and, when concerns are noted, bring issues to the attention of the physician
- Communicate all emergencies, patient life-threatening complications and related incidents to Charge RN, supervisor, Medical Director, Director of Operations, Clinic Manager and complete and submit required Incident Reports for adverse events
- Assess patient and family learning readiness and provide appropriate information on renal disease, prescribed dialysis treatment and medical regimen and its impact on the patient’s state of health and well-being
- Provide hemodialysis therapy including but not limited to formulating dialysis plan per physician orders, weight and rate to be ultrafiltrated, ensuring patient safety measures in place and complied with, administering medications or other appropriate treatments, discontinuing dialysis according to established procedure, documenting all activity appropriately
- Instruct patient on pre and post dialysis care
- Administer patient quality care in a considerate, respectful manner
- Participate in long-term and short-term care planning and monthly progress notes
- Administer blood and blood products and be knowledgeable of what to do in the event of a reaction.
- Maintain a clean working area.
- Practice and teach aseptic technique to patients and other staff members.
- Identify and treat Intradialytic morbidities.
- Appropriate and responsible performance in the event of a patient or facility emergency.
- Practice within boundaries established by state law.
Financial Management/Quality Assurance
- Inform Clinic Manager or Clinical Coordinator of all incidents, conditions, problems, counseling and the necessity for further counseling as it relates to clinical staff, patient care and clinic management
- Prepare and maintain dialysis machines and systems per policy: maintain dialysis records, prepare dialysis water treatment system for use according to established procedure and understand technical operations to resolve minor problems independently
- Notify Bio-Med Technician regarding machine or water treatment malfunctions and provide appropriate documentation
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Review treatment records and ensure accuracy of charges
- Participate in quality improvement
- Ensure compliance with policies and procedures in accordance with state and federal regulations relating to patient care and services (CMS, HIPAA, OSHA, AMMI or other governing agencies)
Lab Testing Responsibilities (where applicable):
- Work overtime with little or no notice as needed
- Assist in the training of new staff members as requested.
- Attend staff meetings, phone conferences, quality improvement meetings, educational activities and training as needed
- Know, understand and follow employee guidelines, employment policies and department or company procedures
- Consistent, regular, punctual attendance as scheduled is an essential responsibility of this position
- Ability to lift minimum of 5 lbs. to a maximum of 35 lbs. unassisted and able to perform repetitive standing, sitting, stooping, walking, stretching, reaching and use full range of body motions. Hearing must be adequate to hear machine alarms and interact in person clearly and efficiently. Vision adequate to perform essential duties and responsibilities of the position. Ability to pass color vision test
Responsible for specimen processing, test performance and reporting results:
records of patient test results
- Follow lab procedures for specimen handling and processing, reporting and maintaining
Biomedical Technician and Clinical Manager
- Maintain records of proficiency testing
- Adhere to quality control policies
- Follow action plans for policies and procedures
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance and report findings to
This position has no direct reports, but provides supervision of clinical staff in assigned area during an assigned shift. Position oversees documentation of all services provided during an assigned shift.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Degree from an accredited school of nursing required
- Prefer one year of nursing experience
- Completion of approved training program as required by the company and CMS guidelines prior to operating the water treatment system required.
- Basic computer skills and proficiency required in MS Outlook; proficiency in all required computer systems of the company including Pearl , etc. within 90 days of hire.
ESSENTIAL BEHAVIOR, SKILLS, ATTITUDE
- Current RN license in state of practice required
- Current CPR certification
- Commitment to company values and mission with ability to demonstrate those positively and proactively to patients, fellow employees, management, physicians and/or vendors in everyday performance and interactions
- Demonstrated ability to maintain absolute confidentiality concerning patient information
- Self-directed; able to function independently and as a team member and to foster a positive work environment
- Demonstrated empathy, consideration and respect for patients and fellow employees
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated time management skills and ability to handle multiple priorities according to clinical standards; high degree of initiative
- Demonstrated ability to present and document work according to standards required
- Ability to remain calm and act appropriately in emergency or life-threatening situations
- Ability and willingness to mentor and coach fellow employees
o Demonstrated interpersonal, collaborative and relationship-building skills; ability to interact positively with fellow employees at various levels across the company
- Fluent in the written and verbal skills necessary to successfully perform the essential functions, duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to read, speak and write English with clarity of expression sufficient to communicate technical and complex concepts to employees, patients and patient family members in clear and easily understood terms
- Ability to understand clinical/medical vocabulary written or spoken in English
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including ability to listen effectively and to communicate information clearly and effectively especially to patients and patient family members who may be unfamiliar with medical terms
o Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to a diverse audience with varying levels of understanding related to ESRD
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, including metric weight and volume measurements, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to calculate drug doses, both oral and intravenous, and IV rates.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Able to communicate technical problems over the telephone and to receive and implement instructions to troubleshoot.
- Able to identify patient emergency and manage situation until patient stable and transported.
- Able to modify patient schedule (grid format) to assure appointments are on time.
The physical requirements can vary. In general, the position requires the following activities:
o Ability to pass color vision test
- Ability to lift minimum of 5 lbs. to a maximum of 35 lbs. unassisted
- Able to perform repetitive standing, sitting, stooping, walking, stretching, reaching and use full range of body motions.
- Hearing must be adequate to hear machine alarms and interact in person clearly and efficiently
- Vision adequate to perform essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT Job required tasks routinely involve a potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood, body fluids, tissues or potential spills or splashes. Use of appropriate personal protection measures is required for every healthcare provider in these positions.
DSI Renal Inc. - 19 months ago