Nature of Work:|
This is a .1 FTE, on call position that will provide both quality sign-to-voice and voice-to-sign interpreting in all areas for Deaf and hard of hearing students, staff, faculty and visitor's and meet legislative requirements for servicing this population.
Sign Language Interpreting
Supervised by the Interpreter Coordinator of Disability Services
Examples of Work Performed:
1. Accept assignments according to skill level, and availability as offered by the Interpreter Coordinator
2. Prepare for assignments (obtain and review materials, books, etc.)
3. Independently provide and maintain the high quality interpreting services established at the university.
4. Establish a working relationship with the consumer throughout the assignment
5. Communicate with Interpreter Coordinator regarding any assignment issues, absences, consumer absences, policy issues, and other related issues
6. Be prepared to take on other assignments from Interpreter Coordinator in the case of a canceled assignment with pay
7. Attend staff meetings as scheduled
8. Adhere to departmental standards established in Disability Services as well as policies and procedures of the University of Colorado Colorado Springs
9. Work cooperatively in team assignments according to established procedures
Additional Posting Description
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Fluency in English and American Sign Language. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Understand and comply with Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) code of professional conduct. Special emphasis must be placed on the tenets of confidentiality, professional conduct and professional development.
UCCS is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for prospective employees.
UCCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and fosters equity in employment by promoting diversity and assuring inclusiveness. We encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans. Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at (719) 255-3372.
Required Education/Experience/Skills (Minimum Qualifications)
- RID certified* preferably both CT and CI or NIC Advanced or Master. Or obtain RID certification within two years of hire
- Fluency in American Sign Language and CASE
- Knowledge of the ADA, ADAA, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Substitution: Associates degree or completion of an interpreter preparation program with two years' experience providing interpreting services at the post-secondary level may substitute for the required certification but will have to obtain certification within two years of hire.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach a copy all RID, CT, CI or NIC Certifications.
These documents are required to be uploaded
List of References
These documents are optional to be uploaded
Number of recommendation provider email addresses required to be entered in application:
Job Posting Contact
Job Posting Contact Telephone
Job Posting Contact Email
Job Posting Number
Quicklink for Posting
University of Colorado - 2 years ago