Save the Children
The Senior Director will lead the delivery of Save the Children’s Health and Nutrition Global Initiative. The incumbent will provide strategic leadership and work with Save the Children international (SCI) members to advance our global health and nutrition priorities in development and humanitarian settings, including representing the SCI at global and country-level fora, educating and advocating for our health and nutrition agenda within and outside SCI, supporting members (especially those without in-house capacity) in their effort to mobilize support and funding for health and nutrition, and actively lead and support SCI-wide effort to be an innovator, and to better document and share program learning and knowledge. During the period 2013-15, the GI Director will be responsible for guiding and support the delivery of the program components of Save the Children’s global EveryOne Campaign three-year strategy to accelerate progress towards meeting MDG 4.
- Under the guidance and with the support of the Global Initiative Steering Group (WG) provide leadership and direction to the Global Initiative (GI)
- In consultation with the WG, determine the resources required to support the GI, and put in place a plan to ensure that the resources required to deliver the Global Initiative are secured
- Working with and through Members, deliver the objectives of the business plan, managing its implementation at global level. Ensure that the agreed contributions from all participating Members are secured and delivered.
- Lead and facilitate the establishment of agreed-upon global metrics and systems for tracking progress related to GI priorities, as well as metrics related to the GI operational plan.
- Serve as a credible voice on issues related to the GI on behalf of SCI, working in close collaboration with SCI members and media and communications staff.
- Facilitate the sharing of technical and program knowledge and learning from within and outside Save the Children. This includes establish a network of technical and program staff through re-establishment of a global program learning group, and ensuring that members have access to, and use, KM mechanisms managed by the GI
- Represent the Global Initiative and Save the Children in various fora, as needed, to advance our GI-related priorities.
- Recruit and manage the GI core team of highly qualified staff
- Ensure coordination between this Global Initiative, the other Global Initiatives and the International Programming Unit in order to ensure efficient use of resources and to maximize impact of the strategy.
- Provide leadership, and be held accountable, for engaging Save the Children members and Country Offices in advancing key program priorities related to theEveryOne Campaign, and specifically in support of the 2013-15 Campaign Strategy (e.g., programme growth and quality, increasing access to frontline health workers, etc.)
- Physician, with public health degree, or a person with advanced training in public health, and significant senior-level experience.
- Thorough knowledge of global health and nutrition policy, technical, and program issues in development and humanitarian contexts.
- Developing country experience, preferably through long-term assignments, in health and nutrition
- 10 Years’ experience working in international development in designing, implementing and evaluating health and nutrition programs
- Proven senior level experience leading diverse, complex initiative and teams to achieve agreed objectives
- Proven ability to broker collaboration and engagement of Member organizations in contributing to the goals and objectives of the GI
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 30 percent of time
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In 2010, we improved the lives of over 64 million children in need in the United States and around the world. Our goal is to reach more than 74 million children annually by the year 2012. Join our dedicated and diverse staff committed to improving the well-being of children.
Save the Children provides an attractive benefits package including competitive salaries, a matching retirement plan, health and welfare benefits, life insurance, an employee assistance program, generous time off and much more.
Save the Children provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Save the Children - 2 years ago
Save the Children helps poor and malnourished children in about 15 US states and about 120 countries, focusing on such areas as health and...