The Associate General Counsel – Commercial Litigation is responsible for the management and support of the complex commercial litigation docket. This position reports to the VP, Deputy General Counsel and manages a team of five individuals. |
- Active management of outside counsel and outside counsel spend with respect to a significant portfolio of litigated matters arising out of all facets of company operations.
- Responsible for setting case strategy, analyzing financial and other risks associated with individual matters as well as overall litigation docket, developing trial plans for cases going to trial, controlling costs, developing discovery plan, reviewing discovery, reviewing and editing briefs and other pleadings and making recommendations regarding strategic approaches to overall litigation docket, trial strategy, and whether matters should be settled or tried.
- Management and optimization of litigation budget for overall docket and individual cases
- Advising management on status of litigation, trial results and reporting on defense costs/indemnity payments.
- Significant interaction with General Counsel and senior management
- Advising the businesses on operational issues as well as litigation matters and how business can mitigate risk with respect to active or past litigation.
- Assisting in witness preparation for deposition and trial
- Review and drafting of discovery responses in collaboration with outside counsel
- Daily interface with multiple outside law firms and business units within Sears
- Extensive utilization of various software applications
- A Juris Doctorate Degree with at least 10 years of relevant experience is required.
- Substantial experience in managing complex, multimillion dollar commercial litigation matters and preparing those matters for trial. Experience as a first or second chair trial lawyer in commercial litigation matters is highly desired.
- Managing a budget for a large litigation docket, including overseeing and optimizing outside counsel expenses, including experience in negotiating and preparing alternative fee arrangements.
- Strong ability to drive, and take accountability for driving, the most optimal results in particular litigation matters as well as with respect to management of overall litigation docket.
- Strong analytical skills and proficiency in using analytics and data to drive approach to case strategy and adjusting risk.
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to articulate options as to how to proceed as opposed solely to pitfalls in proceeding in a particular manner.
- Must be able to operate with limited supervision and show good judgment, including ability to determine appropriate allocation of limited resources among competing priorities.
- Highly developed communication and people management skills are also required. Must be able to communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively with Senior Management.
- Candidate must be effective at troubleshooting and improvising in unexpected situations and must assume full responsibility and take action without direction within appropriate area of responsibility.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are critical.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet short deadlines
- Ability to recognize areas of risk/opportunity quickly and efficiently
- Strong customer service orientation
- Asks "why" at the right times and knows how to develop the answer
- In-house experience in a consumer branded business is highly desirable
- Demonstrated exceptional achievement
10 - 15 Years Experience
Preferred Minimum Education
Juris Doctorate Degree
Sears Holdings Corp. - 17 months ago
Sears, Roebuck and Co. hasn't outgrown the mall scene, but it's spending more time in other places. Beyond its 840 US mall-based stores,...