POSTING TYPE: Open Competitive
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology
PREFERRED HIRING RANGE: $56,500 - 62,300 (IT4.2 DBM Level)
FULL SALARY: $56,500 - 79,700
LOCATION: Hastings Administration Center
CLOSE DATE: This posting will be open until an adequate pool of candidates has been received.
The System Administrator's role is to design, install, administer, maintain and optimize county servers, network storage, infrastructure software and related components in order to achieve the highest performance of the various business applications. This includes ensuring the availability of client/server applications, configuring all new implementations, and developing processes and procedures for ongoing management of the server environment, both physical and virtual. Where applicable, the System Administrator will assist in overseeing the security, integrity, and safety of the data center/server farm. The System Administrator may also provide core technical support for certain enterprise-wide technologies such as database administration, email systems, remote client connectivity, centralized system configuration systems, unified communications, virus protection and various other applications.
- Bachelor's Degree in the field of computer science or management information systems or a related discipline, AND 5 years administering Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or newer environments.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience to total 9 years.
WORK EXPERIENCE MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- TWO Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) Windows Server 2008 or higher Certifications
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS BEYOND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- 2 years administering one or more Microsoft enterprise applications (for example: SQL Server, Exchange Server, Systems Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Systems Center Operations Manager (SCOM), Forefront Identity Manager or SharePoint).
- 2 years design and installation of the following: Windows Active Directory, VMware virtualization or storage area networks (SAN) technology.
- 3 years' experience leading a team of 1-3 staff for medium or large projects.
- 3 years' experience assisting with project plans and assigning, executing and monitoring tasks for medium or large projects.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP) vSphere 5 or higher
- Dell/Compellent Storage Architect Certification
Strategy & Planning
1. Work with the team to develop strategies for client/server implementations; help architect the infrastructure required to support those strategies.
2. Assist the project lead in the design and review of new server systems, applications, and hardware; conduct capacity planning as needed.
3. Help coordinate and participate in key process improvements as they relate to the client/server environment.
4. Help coordinate and collaborate with network engineering, operations, business application development, and other I.T. functions to ensure the availability, reliability, and scalability of corporate servers to meet business demands.
Acquisition & Deployment
5. With some guidance conduct research on server and storage hardware, software, and protocols in support of procurement and development efforts.
6. Check help desk database for entries on server and server resource issues; prioritize and respond to help desk tickets as appropriate.
7. Know when to escalate server issues and provide timely response to customer escalations.
8. Perform file system configuration and management; define and perform server backups and recovery procedures.
9. With some guidance plan and implement server upgrades, maintenance fixes, and vendor-supplied patches.
10. Provide Web administration support by overseeing and maintaining web server functions, such as assuring logging and metrics data are stable.
11. Monitor and test system performance and provide performance statistics and reports.
12. Create shell scripts as required.
13. Maintain enterprise directory services and supporting server infrastructure.
14. Recommend and execute modifications to server environment in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
15. Develop and maintain training materials and server documentation.
16. Lead and/or provide some guidance to junior members of the team.
17. Other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions of this position: 1-16
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment:
Knowledge & Experience
- At least 3 years' work experience in a lead technical analytical position responsible for managing Windows server environments.
- Hands-on experience with at least 3 of the following: Windows Server 2008, MS SQL Server, Oracle database, VMware, Exchange, IIS, Microsoft Lync, SCCM, SCOM, Veeam, VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM).
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft domain and networking environment, including active directory, global catalogs, DHCP, DNS, WINS and group policy objects.
- Understands load balancing, clustering, and caching procedures and processes.
- Some experience installing, configuring, and maintaining server hardware and associated network equipment, including SCSI, RAID, Fiber Channel, and I/O topology.
- Some experience with server performance tuning and monitoring tools.
- Strong working knowledge of standard TCP/IP networking concepts.
- Working technical knowledge of scripting code using Windows scripting tools such as PowerShell.
- General knowledge of storage technologies such as SAN or NAS.
- Business process and reengineering experience, as well as an understanding of the relationship between processes and policies.
- Proven knowledge of systems development life cycle methodologies.
- Strong application support experience with web, Windows, SQL and other vendor provided systems.
- Project management skills a definite asset.
- Strong understanding of the organization's goals and objectives.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into server issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- 24x7 on-call availability as needed.
- Overtime hours may be required to meet project deadlines.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
- Some travel between County locations.
The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.
Dakota County Employee Relations
Main Number 651.438.4435
(contact 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday)
Dakota County - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard