Symplicity is a rapidly growing technology company and we're expanding our team. Located in the Washington, DC metro area. We offer great benefits at a stable and secure organization with a career path to follow. We'd love to hear from you!
- Current Openings
- Life at Symplicity
Linux Systems Administrator Job Description:
We're looking for a mid-level sysadmin/dba to help with the care and feeding of our high volume web/db infrastructure for our 20 million + users. We're small enough so your opinions matter, yet big enough so you get to play with a lot of expensive toys. If you're a standout geek amongst your peers and want to work with a small, energetic software dev company/application service provider in the DC area, please send over your cover letter and resume.
The mid-level Systems Administrator/Database Administrator will help with the care and feeding of Symplicity's high volume web/database infrastructure. The Sysadmin/DBA will work on a high-energy, multi-departmental team to oversee and assure the proper usage and deployment of Symplicity's data and exciting, next-generation databases for higher education, government, and/or corporate clients.
• Linux Server Management. Installation of Linux and related software stacks for various services, and maintaining these servers/services in a 24x7 production environment. Experience with RedHat is a must - familiarity with other Unix/Linux distributions is welcome.
• Hardware Maintenance. Installing/maintain x86 (64 bit) architecture servers - including building from components; installing/upgrading memory/storage; diagnosing problems.
• General Database Management. As a central source of systems and database knowledge in the organization, must understand the basic rules of relational database technology and be able to accurately communicate them to others; diagnose and debug performance bottlenecks; identify missing indexes; perform backups/restores. Symplicity's primary DB platform is MySQL, but experience with other vendors' products is desirable, particularly MS SQL Server and Oracle.
• Capacity Planning. Because data consumption and usage continue to grow, must be prepared to support more data, more users, and more connections.
• Performance Management and Tuning. Proactively monitor systems and make changes to system configurations, data structures, application logic to optimize performance and availability.
• Data Security. Implement and maintain rigorous security infrastructure and processes for various environments.
• Backup and Recovery. Implement/maintain appropriate backup and recovery strategies for various types of servers and clients.
• Desktop Management. Install/maintain/support desktop computers and application software for Symplicity Staff.
• Previous experience as Linux/Unix administrator preferred
• Experience supporting IMAP/POP/SMTP email a must
• Must be able to compile/install/configure server software (apache, openldap, php, etc)
• Strong knowledge in setup and deployment of database
• Experience in managing large database sizes a plus (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle)
• Strong knowledge in optimization and interrogation of databases
• Experience in data integration and database design
• Experience with monitoring logs to identify problems
• Deeply familiar with networking including installation/configuration of routers, switches, firewalls, desktops
• Powerful Linux Shell Skills (use grep, sed, awk, find, etc)
• Skilled with scripting languages such as PHP, Ruby, Python
• Comfort with HTTP service architecture, optimization a big plus
• Server scripting tools including perl/bash/sh/tcsh/csh or some combination required
• Knowledge of DNS, preferably BIND
• Experience with Phone Systems such as Asterisk and Hylafax Servers preferred
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent exp
How to Apply:
If you meet the requirements above, and are interested in working on exciting projects with a strong DC area company, please send a cover letter and resume with salary requirements.
To apply, send resumes to: HR, Symplicity Corporation 1560 Wilson Blvd Suite 550 Arlington, VA, 22209
or email us at: