Database Administrator at Cappex.com
We Make College Search Simple
Great company. Important work. Great benefits. Over 3.5 million students. Used by 1,800 colleges.
What We Do: At Cappex, we help students find the right college – much simpler and easier than anywhere else. Our revolutionary approach allows students to be sought by colleges across the country, and our comprehensive college profile data, unique admission chances tool and student reviews help students find their perfect college fit. More than 3.5 million students are connecting with 1,800+ colleges every day on Cappex, with thousands more signing up every day.
The Role: Our technology team prides itself on quickly building new products that delight our company, impress our users, scale with our business and very rarely wake us up at night. As a DBA, you will play a key role within our IT team with responsibilities for the configuration, deployment, performance, availability, recovery and security of database architecture. Additionally you will be responsible for the movement of data across multiple environments with a depth of experience to support a variety of technologies.
- Perform standard database administration tasks (backups, restores, replication etc.)
- Build scripts to automate where possible to support Cappex activities
- Prepare data feed for internal search engines
- Implement proactive monitoring of MySQL to identify events before they become issues
- Manage database release lifecycles in development/QA/production environments
Nice to Haves:
- Strong experience with MySQL with LAMP and LAMJ (Linux Apache MySQL Java)
- Experience with open source ETL, multi-tenant data loads
- Familiar with optimizing MySQL configurations for various applications
- Experience with Java
- Familiarity with.NET, Perl, Python and Ruby a plus
- Experience with and in-depth knowledge of the InnoDB storage engine
- Experience with horizontal scaling of MySQL databases
- Working knowledge of NoSQL databases (such as MongoDB and CouchDB).
- Strong scripting and automation skills
- Candidates must have the ability to work with minimal supervision on a fast-paced team, meet deadlines and learn new products and processes quickly.
- Good communication skills and comfort with business users at all levels in an organization.
More about Cappex: We got our start in 2006 and we're off to a raging success. We have opened a new downtown technology office in the River North area, within easy walking distance of all CTA and Metra lines. The team here is first rate-full of bright, talented, fun and friendly people who have a passion for helping students. We offer a fantastic benefits program, including: medical, dental, vision, three weeks paid time off, and 401K.
- Comfort with Agile (SCRUM)
- Experience with MS SQL Server
- Hands on experience building large scale, redundant data mart solutions
- Amazon Relational Database Service – MySQL and other non-SQL databases
Cappex is a great place to build a career – full of bright, energetic people who are genuinely friendly and fun to work with. Please see our full list of available jobs at: http://cappexcollegesearchmadesimple.jobscore.com to refer your friends.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and also include a cover letter that tells us how you stack-up to the position we've described and shows us a bit of your personality. A cover letter is very important to us. All applications will be kept confidential. We appreciate all interest, but will only contact those applicants with whom we wish to proceed further.
We have a preference for local candidates from the Chicagoland area. However, relocation and sponsorship are possible for outstanding candidates. Note: Cappex is not currently working with any placement firms for this position. Please apply directly even if the firm tells you, "they know someone at Cappex" (or something similar).
Cappex is an Equal Opportunity Employer