Luminant, a subsidiary of Energy Future Holdings , formerly TXU Corp., is the largest competitive power generation business in Texas. Its operations also include mining, wholesale marketing and trading, and development. Luminant has more than 15,400 megawatts of generation, including 2,300 MW fueled by nuclear power and 8,000 MW fueled by coal. The company is one of the largest purchasers of wind-generated electricity in Texas and the nation. Luminant has mined and restored over 60,000 acres and planted over 25 million trees in a land-reclamation program that has been recognized with over 120 awards for environmental conservation. At Luminant, we are committed to improving our environment by serving our customers and communities through more efficient- and cleaner sources of energy. We are also committed to our values of honesty and integrity, mutual respect, innovation, competitive spirit and diversity.
Fossil Generation consists of nine (9) lignite/coal fired generating units at four (4) plant sites, nine (9) gas/oil fired generating units at four (4) plant sites, two (2) combined cycle plant sites and fifteen (15) simple cycle combustion turbines. The combined generating capacity of Fossil Generation is in excess of 10,000 MWnet. Mining consists of three (3) primary mining locations, adjacent to three (3) of the lignite/coal fired generating stations, with a total average annual production in excess of 25 million tons.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. In this position, either directly or through others, the incumbent:
- In case of Senior Technician : Under minimum guidance of the Lead Protection and Control Technician, is responsible for maintaining, calibrating, and troubleshooting protection and control equipment for Fossil Generation
- In case of Lead Technician: Under minimum supervision, directs and coordinates work assignments of Protection and Control Technicians in the performance of maintaining, calibrating, and troubleshooting protection and control equipment for Fossil Generation Facilities
- Maintenance of all Plant protective relaying and associated control circuits (including testing, calibration, functional tests, trouble shooting, and installation of upgrades):
- Generator relaying
- Main Power Transformer, Unit Auxiliary Transformer, Start-up/Standby Transformer relaying
- All medium voltage switchgear relaying and transfer schemes
- Plant/Switchyard interface relaying
- Maintenance of Automatic Voltage Regulators and associated control schemes:
- Calibration of all protective levels per ERCOT protocol
- Functional tests
- Maintenance and installation of Digital Fault Recorders and Remote Telemetry Units
- Time synchronization
- Maintenance of Plant Metering
- MWh metering calibrations and upgrade installations
- Voltage, current, watt, var, and frequency transducer calibrations and testing of associated equipment
- Maintenance of ancillary equipment
- Emergency bearing oil pump test
- Current transformer meggar test
- Provide outage support
- Interface with plant I&C
- Interface with outside contractors (Fluor, G E, Westinghouse, etc.)
- Provide and/or support problem solving using trouble-shooting skills and recorder data
- Spearhead the implementation & maintenance of new system wide technologies related to plant reliability and optimization, i.e. Automatic Voltage Regulator replacements, digital relaying up-grades, power system stabilizer installations, data interfaces with POC, OS trip initiatives, etc
- Lead new installation wiring verification, checkout, and functional test
- Revise and maintain all associated drawings
- Conducts diagnostic tests on generation facilities’ electrical equipment (ie: Generator CTs, PTs, and ancilliary equipment)
- Install, calibrate, and maintain equipment associated with data acquisition and remote telemetry to support required ERCOT and NERC protocols
Minimal background and knowledge requirements:
- Senior Technician requirements include Associate of Science degree in Electrical Technology (focus in power industry a plus)and 3 years job related experience or six (6) years as a P&C Technician (Documented P&C related training a plus) or acceptable job related experience
- Lead Technician requirements include Associate of Science degree in Electrical Technology (focus in power industry a plus) and 3 years job related experience as a senior P&C technician or six (6) years as a Senior P&C Technician (Documented P&C related training a plus) or acceptable job related experience.
Necessary Skills: - For this position the following skills and abilities must be demonstrated at a proficient level:
- Job Knowledge – Possesses the skills, knowledge, and expertise required to perform the essential aspects of the job as well as any other job specific educational and/or certification requirements
- Problem Solving/Decision Making – Identifies issues and problems, secures relevant information, relates and compares data from different sources, considers alternative courses of action, and makes good business decisions. Willing to make decisions, render judgment, take action and make commitments
- Communications – Clearly and concisely expresses ideas in individual or group situations. Comprehends and processes information and responds to communications from others. Effectively utilizes communication skills to keep appropriate parties informed.
- Client Orientation – Builds partnerships, networks and coalitions with clients, peers and others. Clearly expresses ideas; comprehends and processes information with perceptual objectivity. Probes to discover clients underlying needs and matches available or customized services to meet those needs
- Creativity/Innovation - Generates new ideas and approaches to customer and/or business needs. Anticipates changes in the business environment and takes appropriate action
- Leadership - Capitalizes and builds on workforce diversity. Effectively selects, develops and motivates employees. Guides and inspires others to accomplish goals, both individually and as a team. Defines and encourages high standards of performance; leads by example. Structures and delegates assignments to achieve maximum results, minimal effort and in minimal time.
Physical / Mental demands and working conditions :
This position requires the ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities in the following environment:
- Significant amount of time in the field performing P&C services
- Routine travel away from home
- Extended work hours
- Call outs
- Strenuous physical effort such as climbing, lifting, temperature extremes, and dusty environment
- Supervisory Responsibility: Has no direct supervision responsibility
- Internal/External Interfaces: Interacts with multi-level within the organization as well as outside vendors and contractors.
It is the policy of Energy Future Holdings, Luminant, and TXU Energy to comply with all employment laws and to afford equal employment opportunity to individuals in all aspects of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, military service, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected under the law.
Energy Future Holdings
- 2 years ago - save job
Energy Future Holdings Corp. is a Dallas-based, privately held energy company with a portfolio of competitive and regulated energy...