About The Port Authority
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is a bi-state public agency operating some of the busiest and most important transportation links in the New York / New Jersey region. The Authority builds, maintains, and operates critical bridges, tunnels, terminals, airports and the 16-acre World Trade Center site. Its work supports hundreds of thousands of jobs and billions of dollars in economic activity in the region.
The agency is currently seeking a senior Public Information Officer to liaise with the nearly 1,600-member Port Authority Police Department. Reporting to the Director of Media Relations, the successful candidate will respond to daily media inquiries related to the PAPD and public safety. He/she will contribut to the development of strategic communications plans in coordination with the agency's Chief Security Officer, Superintendent of Police and Chief of Police under the direction of the Director of Media Relations.
1. Promote department programs and services by proactively providing positive news stories to media outlets, writing news releases and coordinating press conferences and media availabilities for senior security and police officials.
2. Monitor media coverage and respond on a timely basis to media inquiries.
3. Prepare, review and edit press releases, speeches, scripts and presentations for senior security and PAPD officials.
4. Maintain and develop contacts with local and national media.
5. Keep the Director of Media Relations apprised of all media inquiries and proposals for promoting the daily and long-term activities of the PAPD.
Bachelor¿s degree from an accredited college or university.
Candidate must be a seasoned professional with eight or more years of experience in media and public relations and extensive knowledge and familiarity with law enforcement or a security related agency.
Strong knowledge of law enforcement and/or security programs and practices.
Exceptional interpersonal skills and experience in working with law enforcement officers or security personnel.
Excellent judgment and familiarity in handling sensitive and confidential matters.
Ability to promote positive stories about Port Authority Police and security programs and initiatives to the print, broadcast and online media.
Strong editing and writing skills to communicate with media through press releases and other public information materials.
Ability to juggle multiple priorities and change course as the need arises.
This position will require some night and weekend work. Candidate will need to respond to breaking news at any hour.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting resume and cover letter.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.