The Senior Systems Administrator serves in the core enterprise systems environment of the IT organization, providing a stable Information Infrastructure in support of all aspects of business operations, responsible for advanced configuration and integration of servers, storage arrays and other information systems.
The duties the Senior Systems Administrator performs in support of the IT Infrastructure include:
• Creating, reviewing and maintaining system requirements and configuration guidelines for the installation and configuration of information systems specific to the computing environment.
• Configuration of operating systems, software and databases, managing multiple platforms across diverse landscapes.
• Creating, maintaining and verifying backup and recovery procedures, and clearly delineating how these procedures will impact or enable relevant business functions.
• Specifying, researching and implementing system upgrades, software patches and security access controls; extrapolating this research into a technology roadmap for the systems under his/her control.
• Specifying the metrics for monitoring system availability, performance, resource utilization, and security access logs, to determine long-term patterns, growth or emerging challenges.
• Investigating recurring problems to determine root causes, and developing creative, lasting solutions, assembling small ad hoc teams as needed to review, brainstorm and strategize.
• Able to act as a vendor liaison to research multiple solutions, vendor products, or configuration options to determine the best fit for a given situation.
• Composing documentation and presenting information to customers, professional peers and colleagues within the department to help mentor other system administrators and IT staff as they learn and grow professionally.
The successful Senior Systems Administrator should have solid foundation in education and experience, including:
• A four-year degree in Computer Science or a related field
• An advanced certification or equivalent work experience
• At least 7 years of experience in Information Technology, ideally as a system administrator
• Demonstrated knowledge of advanced concepts such as TCP/IP theory, memory management, inter-process communication, performance analysis and tuning, distributed computing, clustering and high-availability solutions.
• This position requires advanced experience in storage management and SAN-NAS administration, virtualization with high-availability requirements, Linux operating system administration, backup administration and disaster recovery preparation, and information security administration.
The successful Senior Systems Administrator should possess working knowledge of Information Technology in the following areas:
• SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
• NetApp NAS and SAN configuration
• CommVault Simpana
• VMware ESX
• Dell Servers and Blade Chassis
• Optimizing efficiency and end-user productivity in a 24x365 enterprise data center
• Managing servers running J2EE, Apache reverse-proxies, MySQL, OpenDS, Wiki and other open-source software products.
• Microsoft Windows Server, Active Directory, and/or Exchange
• Experience with SAP Basis and SAP application management is desirable
Note: This position requires the ability to develop and present documentation, training materials, and proposals for small- to medium-sized projects. The ideal candidate should be self-starter who can build consensus with peers and be able to work well under general direction from management.
The Burton Corporation made snowboards before boardsports became extreme. The company, doing business as Burton Snowboards, is the...