Abakan Inc. is a publicly traded company (symbol ABKIE) which invests in and manages companies that have developed transformational surface modification solutions and technologies. Miami based, they are now the single largest shareholder in MesoCoat, an Ohio based nanotechnology materials science company fast becoming a world leader in metal protection and repair through their revolutionary “long life” coating and “high speed” cladding technologies. MesoCoat’s solutions have already been the recipient of three prestigious R&D 100 awards, a Technology Innovation Program Award (TIP) for 100 year life coatings by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and the NorTech Innovation Award for high performance environmentally friendly coating materials.
As a Business Development Manager with Abakan Inc., you will build and develop new business customers worldwide. Reporting to the President, the Business Development Manager must be able to self-generate leads and have the ability to close new clad steel businesses in an outside/B2B sales environment. Position will develop new business opportunities through strategic partnering, joint development agreements, licensing, and OEM supply of the Company’s CermaClad product portfolio for commercial use applications. Position responsibilities include:
- Identify and evaluate new opportunities to develop, partner, license, and/or supply products for use of CermaClad equipment, materials, and services in commercial applications.
- Assess technical fit, business risk, financial potential, applicable intellectual property and develop strategies and deal structures for strategic partnering, licensing, and OEM supply of products ranging from CermaClad application equipment and consumables, CermaClad cladding services and clad steel products to next generation technologies for corrosion and wear resistance.
- Collaborate with internal partners across business units and disciplines including legal, product management, manufacturing, marketing and R&D to develop and close qualified business transactions.
- Lead negotiations from initial contact through drafting of terms and agreement execution to maximize the Company’s return.
- Identify leads; develop positive, productive customer relationships; maintain strategic contacts and collaborations, deal funnel and forecasts.
- Keep abreast of market trends, emerging technology and company strategies in order to advance the business in a variety of market applications including research, metals processing, upstream and downstream oil and gas, shipbuilding, infrastructure, petrochemical, pulp and paper, energy generation, etc.).
- Analysis of market drivers, competitors, value propositions to develop forward-looking insights to efficiently drive management decisions and improve financial results.
- Provide operations and corporate recommendations to grow businesses’ profitability with managed risk.
- Requires superior analytical and thinking skills, intellectual rigor and curiosity and problem-solving capability.
o Development of business plans and strategies
- Identifies new lateral and vertical market target customers. This includes the following:
o Identification of business opportunities
o Development and presentation of Gate Review Briefings
o Development of customer communication plans
o Lead business and technical interface with New Business Partners and OEM, develop teaming strategies and provide technical direction with respect to new partnership and business requirements
o Lead capture management on assigned requirements developing and leading capture
- Prospect and sell new business.
- Utilize consultative sales methods to sell CermaClad steel services and solutions.
- Generate revenue and exceed yearly sales goals.
- Travel to meet face-to-face with clients and prospects as needed.
- Gain access to C-Level, EVP, director and manager to engage with them and present MesoCoat solutions.
- Create business models, analyzing financial and execution risks.
- Execute conceptual sales, solution and value-based sales presentations and virtual meetings.
- Regularly conduct market research on products and potential products to ensure that the Company is kept abreast of industry trends affecting products; assisting with the development of product specifications which are written correctly around end-user needs; product market potentials are accurately forecast; sales aides are correctly designed/worded to meet the end-user’s needs; and test market activity is appropriate.
- Support and execute the marketing plan to drive revenue growth and market share for specific product lines.
- Ensure, promote, and provide high quality technical service with the objective of achieving customer satisfaction and sales.
- Define and prioritize new product development programs for existing and new markets and identify, plan, recommend, and complete technical programs leading to innovative applications of new and existing products and technologies using rapid product development strategies.
- Apply advanced engineering and scientific principles to the evaluation and solution of technical and marketing problems.
- Assist with the formal quotation to customers where accuracy and responsiveness are key to ensure good service; must be up to date on sales, marketing and promotion programs and administer these accordingly.
- Quickly respond to any issues that customers have as customer satisfaction rates set the Company apart from the competition.
- Conduct market research on the use of product platforms for original design manufacturing applications.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Develop loyal and long-lasting client relationships through personal attention and consistent follow up.
- Schedule teleconference and face-to-face meetings with existing customers to assess short and long-term needs.
- Prepare presentations, trade show materials, and/or demonstrations.
- Solicit, secure, process and ensure fulfillment of reorder business.
- Order samples, set-up and present options and technical briefings to customers for consideration.
- Develop a close working relationship with key decision makers at existing accounts.
- Communicate relevant product, pricing, warranties, availability and delivery, and progress/ status to current customers.
- Ensure customers questions are addressed in a timely manner.
- Complete five to eight (5-8) sales calls per week with existing customers.
Candidate must be highly motivated and passionate about developing new business opportunities with strong oil and gas, energy, and materials knowledge, documentation, oral, and interpersonal communication skills required. Ability to prioritize and focus on projects that offer highest benefit to the enterprise and stop activities that are not value-added. Willingness to seek help if time lines will not be achieved or if project scope or topic is beyond current skill level.
Basic qualifications (including educational requirements) include:
- B.S. in materials-related engineering discipline; PhD preferred; MBA is a plus.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant business development experience, including identification & validation of strategic business opportunities in the materials field, as well as the proven track record of relevant completed business development transactions.
- Prior experience in developing new markets preferred.
- Hands-on experience in materials science applications or oil and gas industry is a plus.
- Strong leadership, business, technical and negotiating skills.
- Sales or contract negotiation, alliance management and/or cross-functional team leadership experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with intellectual property and business practices.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; attention to detail; experience drafting term sheets and contract provisions is a plus.
- Track record of successfully working with a variety of stake holders (internal and external) to resolve complex issues and create unique solutions.
- Excellent relationship building skills internal and external.
JobHost - 14 months ago
Powdermet Inc. was founded in 1996 for the express purpose of utilizing Fluidized Bed Chemical Vapor Deposition (FBCVD) to provide advanced,...