The Disabilities Specialist is responsible for designing, coordinating, implementing and monitoring all activities for children enrolled in Head Start who have a suspected or diagnosed disability. In addition this position will ensure that the Head Start program adheres to the Federal Performance Standards (grant requirements), Federal and State laws regarding the education rights of children with disabilities. Provide oversight and coordinate all disability services in the Head Start program.
EEOC CODE: 20
1. Two (2) year's of progressively responsible experience in an Administrative field which includes Special Education and Early Childhood Education; and
2. Graduation from an accredited College or University with a Bachelor's Degree in Special Education or Early Childhood Education; or a closely related field; or
3. (PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED)
1. Must possess a valid Tennessee Driver's license or secure one as of employment date.
2. Must have daily access to an operable automobile and meet County standards of insurance coverage upon date of employment.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures that the disability services are rendered to the disabled children in accordance with the IEP; Monitoring to ensure compliance with the state, federal laws.
2. Supports a system for the transition of disability children into Memphis and Shelby County Schools.
3. Monitors follow-up plans for assistance and treatment in consultation with staff therapist, parents and disability providers on progress of the child receiving individual services (disability). Monitoring federal requirement (Performance Standards).
4. Provides training and technical assistance to staff and parents. Helps parents understand the rights under disability laws; and training/informational pamphlets.
5. Assists in preparations of disability budget annually for disability services and contracts. Budget planning, disability budget required by federal Performance Standards.
6. Compiles disability monthly/quarterly report for Head Start (federal government report).
7. Provides data and information required for preparing grants and refunding application.
8. Complies with local, state, and federal guidelines, standards and policies relating to the provision of Disabilities/Mental Health Services.
9. Develops and implements a record keeping and reporting system as outlined by the Disabilities and Mental Health Services Plan.
10. Assists center site supervisors in identifying and materials and equipment for implementing the IEP of enrollees of disabilities.
11. Provides guidance and training to staff, parents, and Community Partners.
12. Participates in training and/or workshops to stay abreast of current trends and new laws pertaining to services for the disabled.
13. Monitors services provided for enrollees with a disability to ensure quality service in a timely manner.
14. Contacts agencies for follow-up on documentation on referrals for special need children.
15. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Extensive knowledge of public administration functions, programs, policies and practices.
2. Thorough knowledge of organization, financial (including budgeting, accounting, and auditing), purchasing and personnel management techniques.
3. Knowledge of Shelby County substantive programs and policies, and services of related Federal, State and local programs.
4. Ability to make oral and written reports and public presentations.
5. Knowledge of IDEA, ADA Laws, Department of Education Eligibility Requirements for children with disabilities.
6. Understands the LEA responsibilities for Children with Disabilities.
7. Knowledge of Community resources for families of people with disabilities
1991 Corporate #600, Memphis, Tennessee 38132
Shelby County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national origin or handicap status
Shelby County Government participates in E-Verify
Equal Opportunity Employer
Memphis and Shelby County Health Department - 22 months ago
Shelby County Health Care Corporation, dba Regional Medical Center at Memphis (The MED), provides a variety of health care services to the...