Organization: Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium of Metro Parks Tacoma
Location: Tacoma, WA, Country
Job or Internship: Job
This seasonal position is responsible for daily husbandry of program birds, mammals, reptiles, and invertebrates; maintaining records; animal handling; animal enrichment; and presenting animals informally to Zoo visitors. Additionally, staff will participate in multi-taxa, large format, scripted animal presentations in the Zoo’s Wild Wonders Outdoor Theater, a covered, 350-seat amphitheater that features off-leash and free-flight behaviors. Other duties as assigned.
CLOSING DATE: March 1, 2011
SALARY: $8.67 per hour
HOURS: Seasonal position; up to 40 hours per week, to include weekends and holidays as needed. Hours and days per week may vary. This position requires less than 1000 hours per year.
CLASSIFICATION: This position is classified as a part-time/seasonal position and is not eligible for health benefits or paid leave. Enrollment in the WA state retirement system may be mandatory. This position is an at-will position with no written or implied contractual agreement.
LICENSE & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be a high school graduate
- College degree in biological sciences desirable
- Must be able to communicate effectively and follow written & oral instructions
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays.
- A resume and cover letter with dates of availability must be included with the required application form.
- Employment is subject to a Washington State Patrol background inquiry pursuant to RCW 43.43.832
- Job applicants must be able to prove authorization to work in the United States at the time of a job offer as required by the 1986 Federal Immigration Reform and Control Act. Documentation establishing authorization to work may include a Social Security Card, picture ID and/or other approved documentation.
Lifting and carrying heavy objects or animals weighing up to 80 pounds; pushing; climbing; walking; kneeling and crouching to work with and feed animals; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate specialized equipment and tools.
Applicants must submit an official completed and signed Metropolitan Park District application form. Resumes received without the required application form will not be accepted. Applications can be obtained at the Metro Parks Tacoma Administration building located at 4702 S. 19th St., Tacoma, WA 98405 or by visiting the Metro Parks Tacoma web site at www.metroparkstacoma.org.
Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- 4 years ago - save job