According to practice procedures and protocols, courteously and professionally greets and receives patients and
Answers telephones, schedules appointments and procedures, registers/checks out patients, performs charge
entry, and other general business functions as assigned.
Minimum Education, Licensure / Certification and Experience Required:
1. High school diploma, or equivalent required.
2. Completion of course work related to physician practice front office operations preferred.
1. One year of physician practice, urgent care or hospital based system experience preferred.
2. Medical terminology, coding and knowledge of managed care preferred.
Licensure / Certification:
Special Skill / Aptitudes:
- Current BCLS (Basic Cardiac Life Support) preferred.
1. Ability to type a minimum of 20 to 25 wpm with 85% minimum accuracy required. Successful passing of
combined basic medical terminology, basic billing and insurance assessment with a minimim passing score
of 80% required.
2. Experience with computer systems and internet capabilities.
Basic understanding of billing/reimbursement
systems and software applications such as Microsoft Office preferred.
3. Successful completion of NextGen application (post-training) at a minimum passing score of 80%.
4. Ability to pay close attention to detail and work in fast paced environment with little supervision.
5. Good organizational skills in order to work under time constraints and enhance patient flow.
6. Interpersonal and communications skills necessary to deal effectively and tactfully with a variety of patients
7. Excellent customer service orientation
skills necessary in order to deal effectively with various levels of
hospital personnel, outside customers and community groups.
Duties / Responsibilities:
Responsible for accurate patient registration, including insurance eligibility verification.
knowledge of managed care information, and other
PPO, POS and HMO products (i.e. current practice
management systems), to include benefits, waivers and provider status eligibility.
Schedules appointments by phone or at discharge utilizing patient scheduling software.
procedures and records specific information/data required.
Prints and distributes daily schedules and pulls
appropriate charts/medical records for the next days appointments.
Maintains up to date knowledge of coding for primary care (or specialty care as appropriate) in the office
utilizing CPT, ICD-9 and HCPCs.
Enters patient charges, posts payments and balances daily batches
utilizing billing system application.
Answers patient questions about payment status.
Responsible for the collection of point of service payments, previous balances and any other fees from
Reconciles daily cash/cash drawer including a minimum of three deposits weekly per site. Gives
appropriate receipt to patients.
May count and balance petty cash drawer daily.
Understands and performs referral process.
Maintains, troubleshoots and assists with all patient referrals.
Assures that referrals are accurate and complete. Maintains knowledge of plans and participating physicians
Communicates and educates referral process to patients as needed.
utilization process and appropriateness of each referral.
Greets patients as they enter, exhibiting appropriate customer service standards.
demographic information/data and initiates patient medical record.
Works with the team to assure smooth
flow in all operations of the practice.
Answers telephones, routes calls to appropriate staff, takes accurate phone messages, and relays messages to
staff and physicians.
May perform filing for the practice which includes faxes, mail opened and distributed, reports, results,
messages. Files charts back alphabetically or numerically (site specific)
Participates in staff meetings, education, in-services, competence programs, process improvements projects
and quality improvement projects as necessary.
Adheres to hospital policy regarding awareness of and sensitivity to patient rights, privacy and
confidentiality. Understands the policies regarding patient confidentiality and copying documents for patients,
physicians, subpoenas, and insurance companies.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of St. Joseph Mercy
through performing behaviors consistent with the Trinity Health Values.
Health Organizational Integrity Program, including the Standards of Conduct, Code of Ethics, as well as
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations, the Trinity
other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and
- Supports and conducts one's self in a manner consistent with customer service expectations.