Summary: Directly responsible for the operations and maintenance of all liquid and dry fertilizer production and equipment (stationary and mobile).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Performs all phases of liquid and dry fertilizer manufacturing, including but not limited to operating augers, conveyors, pumps, mixer-blenders, load-outs, and weight-scale, where applicable.
- Operates fertilizer equipment used in manufacturing processes.
- Maintains equipment and performs repairs as instructed
- Unloads railroad hoppers & tank cars; loads and unloads semi-tractor hopper & tank trailers; operates end loader, tractor, and mobile fertilizer production unit.
- Ensures quality products and inventory control within proper specifications.
- Operates and cares for instruments used in quality control.
- Other duties that may be assigned.
Organizational Support: Supports organization's goals and values; Demonstrates knowledge of product and procedures; Follows instructions and responds to management direction; Follows policies and procedures; Observes safety and security procedures; Uses equipment and materials properly; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Completes tasks correctly and on time; Meets and strives to increase productivity standards; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Keeps commitments; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Participates in meetings; Able to read and interpret written information and complete required paperwork; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
Self-Management: Works with integrity, honesty, and ethically; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Uses time efficiently; Reacts well under pressure; Uses reason and keeps emotions under control; Speaks clearly in any situation; Listens and gets clarification; Treats others with respect and consideration; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events; Is reliable and dependable, consistently at work, meetings, and appointments on time.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience - High school diploma, GED, or trade school education or at least two years related experience and/or training in fertilizer production, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Possess an understanding of product care and storage; must have knowledge of plumbing and valving; one year of mechanical experience and an Ag background are preferred.
Language Skills - Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence if requested. Ability to speak effectively with customers, vendors or employees of organization.
Mathematical Skills - General knowledge of math calculations; Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills - Basic computer skills necessary to operate specialized fertilizer program.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations - Valid state driver's license is required. Willingness to obtain welding certificate and CDL if necessary.
Other Skills, Abilities, and Qualifications - Liquid fertilizer and mechanical skills are necessary, such as electrical, welding, and cutting-torch knowledge; Self-motivated; safety conscience; mechanically inclined.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is required to reach, talk or hear, and climb to or work at heights up to 60'. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and crawl through manholes 18 inches in diameter; Must be willing and able to work long or irregular hours during peak seasons (including weekends, if necessary); work outside during inclement weather; be willing to travel at various times of the year in order to perform all the job requirements set forth by the Crop Nutrients business unit.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions and temperature differences when maneuvering between buildings; work near moving mechanical parts; sometimes work in high precarious places; often exposed to fumes or airborne particles; and at times vibrations from equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
United Suppliers, founded in 1963, is a wholesale organization based in the rural community of Eldora, Iowa. We are owned by agricultural...