Functions within the plan of Standard Care Arrangement arranged with the Physician's Assistant (PA) and physician.
I. The Physician Assistant for the Surgery Department will have clinical and/or inpatient responsibilities for patient populations based on credentialing.
II. The Physician Assistant is responsible to their collaborating physician for clinical practice issues and inpatient issues within a Standard Care Arrangement (SCA) to diagnose, treat and manage individuals or population of patients and is responsible to the Chairman of Surgery Department and the Associate VP/Executive Director Patient Care Services of the Hospital, regarding nursing practice issues and departmental issues.
III. PAs can serve as health care resource providers, patient advocates and interdisciplinary consultants with the Health Care Team (HCT)
IV. The Physician assistant will be in full compliance with Surgery Department protocols, policies and procedures for the care of adult and pediatric patients, CMS and Joint Commission standards.
1. A certificate to practice as a Physician's Assistant issued by the State Board of Medicine.
2. Experience as a Physician Assistant.
3. Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant program.
4. BLS , ACLS, PALS certified & holds Physician Assistant Certification.
5. Experience in surgical cases required. (Will scrub in surgical cases as needed.)
6. Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills necessary.
7. On call required. May work all shifts and weekends.
8. Possesses certificate to prescribe from The Ohio Board of Medicine.
9. Possesses DEA mid-level controlled substances registration.
10. Possesses a NPI (National Provider Identifier) from CMS as rendering provider and/or Medicare PINs and UPINs or their Medicaid provider numbers.
11. Experience as a care coordinator with excellent insight/knowledge re: insurance reimbursement, integral criteria for admission/continued hospital stay, discharge planning/utilization of resources within the institution, preferred.
12. Possession of suturing/minor-trauma experience or credential (or ability to pass credential process within 90 days of hire);
13. See Appendix I for additional competencies required.
1. Maintains an attendance record without patterned absences.
2. Displays professional appearance and demeanor.
3. Demonstrates flexibility in work schedule.
4. Maintain skills and knowledge level.
5. Assumes responsibility and accountability for own actions. Seeks out supervision as necessary.
6. Has a COA from the Ohio State Medical Board to practice as a Physician Assistant. Prescriptive Authority is Preferred. Verification of the applicant's current certification has been received by UTMC Human Resources department directly from the "National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants."
7. Practices within the national standards specific to specialty, for Physician assistants and as identified in the Revised Code and Ohio Administrative Code.
8. Promotes a spirit of teamwork through effective communication, cooperation and collaboration.
Experience as a care coordinator with excellent insight/knowledge re: insurance reimbursement, integral criteria for admission/continued hospital stay, discharge planning/utilization of resources within the institution, preferred.
University of Toledo - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard -