Virgin Islands National Guard
Area of Consideration: Open only to current Virgin Islands Army & Air National Guard members within the grades of E4 - E6. Virgin Islands Air National Guard member must be eligible to acquire membership in the Virgin Islands Army National Guard in an available and compatible military grade for the excepted technician position.
Position Location: USP&FO.
Selecting Official: Ms. Elvere Bradshaw.
PCS : PCS is not authorized.
Selected Reserve Incentive Program (SRIP): Acceptance of a Federal Excepted technician position of over 179 days in length will cause termination from the SRIP.
Type of Appointment : This is a full-time, Excepted Permanent dual-status, position which requires Virgin Islands Army National Guard membership.
Job Summary: The purpose of this position is to provide analysis, validation, processing and correction of financial transactions and issues/problems involving the full range of financial services. Incumbent uses complete understanding of inter-related systems and processes across multiple functional areas and their interoperability to ensure the validity and accuracy of all disbursements, collections, and adjustments related to financial records.
Background Check: Selectee may, at the option of the agency, be required to submit to criminal, credit history, and general background checks which will be evaluated by the agency prior to a final offer of employment and access into the Virgin Islands National Guard Federal Technician or Active Guard/Reserve program.
National Guard Membership: This position requires military membership. It is designated for Virgin Islands Army National Guard Enlisted incumbent(s) only. In accordance with ARNG regulations, incumbent performs duties necessary to accomplish military Financial Services Technician functions in support of programs essential to state Army National Guard daily operations, training and readiness missions. As a member of a Virgin Islands Army National Guard unit, you will be required to train with your unit, normally one weekend a month and 15 days of annual training each year. Virgin Islands Army National Guard units and members are subject to immediate call to federal or state active duty to meet national or state emergencies.
- Must be a current US Citizen.
- Under 5 USC 2108 & 5 CFR 211, Veteran's Preferences criteria does not apply
- Direct Deposit Banking is Mandatory.
- Military Requirement: CMF 42, 36; EMOS 25B, 51C, 92A/Y/Z.
The following list of duties is not conclusive but provides a brief snapshot of the duties that may be required of this position:
- Performs broad-in-depth financial analysis of inter-related accounting, logistics and computer file systems concerning pay, accounts payable, and various travel entitlements, using multiple procedures, processes and techniques to evaluate alternatives and arrive at decisions, conclusions and recommendations.
- Performs in-depth analysis, complicated pay, travel, and accounts payable issues involving substantial corrective action and/or complicated adjustments and resolves issues, including assessing unusual circumstances or conditions.
- Analyzes particular facts of financial transaction problems/issues, verifies and evaluates data; obtains additional information to reconcile discrepancies or inconsistencies; and applies pertinent fiscal laws, regulations, precedent decisions, and procedures to determine appropriate action for resolution.
- Analyzes and resolves tax processing problems based on soldier inquiries or internal control audits/reviews, ranging from Permanent Change of Station (PCS) issues and combat tax exclusion pay to refunds of erroneous tax collections. Interprets data to identify problems, determines nature of the problem or issue, decides approaches to use to resolve issues, and recommends solutions for systemic changes to enhance operations.
- Researches, interprets, analyzes, and applies regulations, policies, procedures and legal decisions to work and/or resolve complex financial issues/problems.
- Performs or conducts research, investigates and solves problems involving reconciliations of discrepancies (Electronic Funds Transfer rejects, pay/personnel/travel mismatches) to identify, analyze and provide solutions regarding multiple entitlements, payments to personnel in various duty statuses and assorted payments to commercial vendors, including computation of interest due.
- Performs complicated actions to solve problems associated with processing actions regarding multiple pay, travel, and accounts payable financial systems.
- Performs varied duties, involving financial services payment systems.
- Determines appropriate pay, allowances, and entitlements.
- Analyzes and processes transactions directly with U.S. Treasury and local financial institutions to ensure credits and collections are accomplished in a timely manner in accordance with law, regulation and policy.
- Applies information derived from personnel management systems to ensure proper pay and entitlements to Soldiers and civilians.
- Uses computer master file systems, document processing and the effects of transactions on existing records to modify normal automated processes while protecting historical data.
- Schedules, runs, and analyzes various financial system reports, such as daily activity reports, error/reject reports, status reports, discrepancy and mismatch reports, transaction reports, and ad hoc reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
General Experience: Must have experience in progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work which demonstrates the candidates ability to communicate with individuals at different levels in order to assist and provide information. Experience using computers and automated systems.
Must have at least 12 months specialized experience maintaining records, compiling reports, compiling figures, or performing other procedural work of two or more sections. Experience summarizing, analyzing and evaluating financial data for review. Experience providing technical and specialized administrative data, background material and references upon request.
Must have at least 18 months specialized experience doing thorough accurate work that requires a logical sequence of steps to accomplish a task. Experience in obtaining and interpreting information, organizing and developing clear and meaningful written information. Experience which included responsibility for the supervision and management of personnel.
Other Requirements : For positions requiring a driver's license candidate must have a valid state driver's license for the state in which they live or principally employed. For positions requiring a security clearance candidate must possess a security clearance (Secret or Top Secret) or be able to obtain a clearance within one (1) year of appointment.
National Guard Compatibility : Once an applicant is selected and prior to being placed in the technician Financial Services Technician position the selectee must be assigned to any unit in the Virgin Islands Army National Guard as an Enlisted member in CMF 42, 36; EMOS 25B, 51C, 92A/Y/Z. Rank inversion is strictly prohibited. Wear of the Army uniform as prescribed by AR/NGB/VI NGR is required for incumbent of this position. Acceptance of this position constitutes concurrence with this requirement as a condition of employment.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/InteractiveBenefits#icc .
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see www.sss.gov ).