We are looking for an engineer to lead to our international Systems Engineering team. Systems Engineers are responsible for optimizing the performance and reliability of ideeli's rapidly evolving systems. In addition to hands-on systems administration, you will set priorities and make technical decisions for the Systems Engineering team and work with Development to improve ideeli's technical infrastructure. You will be responsible for maintaining and improving our uptime and performance records, monitoring network health, and handling both planned and unplanned events.
The ideal candidate has breadth and depth of technical experience earned by managing substantial production web systems.
- 5+ years of Linux/UNIX server administration experience in a production environment
- Ability to lead a small, but geographically dispersed team of Systems Engineers
- Proven troubleshooting and performance tuning experience
- Extensive configuration management experience (puppet, chef, cfengine)
- Proficiency in various scripting languages such as ruby, python, perl, and bash.
- Knowledge of web technologies, particularly the Ruby on Rails stack
- Experience with a variety of monitoring and alerting systems including Nagios (Graphite and Splunk a plus)
- Comfortable with networking technologies including DNS, TCP/IP, SSL, and Load Balancing
- Familiarity with MySQL server tuning and replication
- Experience with source code management systems (svn, git, etc)
- Although our system is already built, previous experience building a system is a huge plus
- Able to work in an environment at a fast pace and with changing priorities
- Experience working with both bare metal and virtualized environments, particularly EC2.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering discipline preferred