U.S. News & World Report is seeking a seasoned web system administrator to maintain and improve our web hosting and development systems.
USNews.com is a highly visible web site that features both breaking news and comprehensive data ranking projects. Our infrastructure is based on open source components including Debian GNU/Linux, Apache (Python mod_wsgi), Squid, and PosgreSQL. It is designed to be easily scalable in order to handle periodically anticipated traffic spikes throughout the year.
This is a full-time position, with benefits, located at U.S. News’s Georgetown, Washington, D.C. office.
On a daily basis, you’ll be keeping an eye on our website—watching for server alerts, substandard performance, and jumping in to nurse it back to good health. You’ll also be interacting with our enthusiastic team of frontend and backend developers, making sure they have the tools they need to create and publish their content and code.
You also get to show off your creative side as our website infrastructure architect. By making decisions about software, hardware, and network configurations, you will be in the driver’s seat of the technology behind a large respected website.
Here are some of the components and activities you’ll be working on. Don’t worry if you haven’t mastered them all; there’s room for learning on this job!
- Configuring new and existing servers to run a custom Apache/Python stack, with PHP and Java components.
- Setting up highly-available database servers with basic permissions, and ensuring they are backed up. Primarily PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite, and MongoDB.
- Writing shell scripts for system automation and assisting in the publication of code/content from development to production environments.
- Maintaining server load balancing rules and cache retention times, locally and via CDN.
- Ensuring configuration consistency across server environments using the puppet engine and version control (Git and Subversion).
- Keeping operating systems up to date with the latest security patches.
- Using analysis tools and intuition to identify and correct performance bottlenecks.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, and any references to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Web System Administrator" in the subject line.
- Experience with Linux/Unix-like system administration in a production environment. Debian or Ubuntu Linux is a plus.
- Experience administering an Apache web server, preferably on a public Internet site.
- Basic knowledge of, and ability to read through Python code.
- Competence in command line and shell scripting.
- Fundamentals of IP networking, firewalls, DNS, and SSL.
- Motivation to work with a skilled and energetic team of developers and IT professionals in a fairly relaxed environment.
U.S. News & World Report - 9 months ago
Founded in 1933, the weekly national news magazine U.S.News & World Report is devoted to reporting and to analyzing national and...