The General Manager (GM) is directly responsible for managing the profit, merchandise, operations and people within an A.C. Moore store. The GM has an overall responsibility in terms of performance management and the evaluation of associates within the store. This position ensures that all associates are properly trained. This position ensures that the right people are in place in the store in order to execute Quality Customer Care. The GM looks for in-stock and merchandising opportunities by reviewing various reports. This position has complete understanding of seasonal trends, industry trends, and the competitive market landscape. The GM reviews the Profit line items and makes determinations on ways to improve performance in his/her store. This position is responsible for executing advertising, profit management, and shrink reduction in the store. The GM is a primary source of contact for our customers. This position impacts the company by leading the store to success.
Essential Job Functions
Sales, Margin and Profit
- Effectively lead a business that involves planning, sales, and profit optimization.
- Understand and make decisions based on the P&L for the store. Monitor sales, margin, and inventory.
- Analyze and make decisions based on reports of sales trends.
- Represent the company within the local community.
Quality Customer Care
- Provide Quality Customer Care to all customers by handling customer concerns quickly and sincerely, ringing up purchases with speed and accuracy, and by recovering the store consistently to ensure a positive shopping experience.
- Acts as Manager on Duty (MOD), ensuring that all customers receive Quality Customer Care throughout the store.
Store Operational Standards
- Comply with and strictly enforce all A.C. Moore policies outlined in the Associate Handbook.
- Maintain a store that is safe and clean according to company policy/procedure and OSHA/ADA standards.
- Comply with and strictly enforce all FLSA employment practices.
- Serve as the key carrier for the building. Utilize alarm codes to enter and/or exit the building.
- Responsible for compliance with all questions on Store Operations Review.
- Delegate short-term and long-term tasks and ensure completion through follow-up.
- Use all available communication tools to ensure that associates receive relevant company information.
- Adheres to deadlines as assigned by the company and/or District Manager.
We Value People
- Manage the essential job functions of all positions within the store.
- Recruit, develop, train, and retain an effective team of associates.
- Manage associates effectively by providing constant feedback on performance.
- Resolve performance issues in the stores.
- Foster an environment of high team member morale.
- Complete fair and accurate performance and salary reviews.
- Oversee adequate and efficient scheduling of associates.
- Directly manages the Custom Framing Specialist and the sales performance of the frame shop.
- Directly manages the Inventory Control Specialist and the in-stock position of the store.
- Directly manages any Assistant Managers and supervisors.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Adopt and Execute our Values of: People, Integrity, Desire to Be the Best, Passion, Enthusiasm and New Ideas.
Experience & Educational Requirements
- 3 - 5 years of experience in retail management or a combination of a college degree and retail experience is required.
- Flexibility in scheduling; evenings, early mornings, weekends and holidays required.
- Understanding of retail sales, inventory, profit planning, and merchandising.
- Experience with store operations and loss prevention.
- Understanding of effective recruitment and training.
- Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word experience required.
- Proficiency with POS and other systems used to manage retail sales, expense, and operations.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills.
- Strong business acumen.
- Excellent people skills.
- Strong verbal and communication skills.
- Consistent positive attitude when interacting with team, customers, and colleagues.
- Demonstrate ability to set goals and objectives and motivate team to achieve them.
- Takes accountability and ownership for his or her own actions.
- Ability to multitask while leading a team and working as a team player in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with arts and crafts preferred.
Due to the fiduciary accountabilities of this job, a valid credit check and/or background will be required as part of the selection process.
A.C. Moore Arts & Crafts, Inc. is a specialty retailer of arts, crafts and floral merchandise for a range of customers. As of July 2012,...