Job Title: Exelon Wind - Transmission Planning Engineer
Job ID: 3003250
Location: IA - Des Moines
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Family: Engineering
Business Unit Overview
Exelon Power is responsible for managing, operating, and maintaining the company's fossil and hydroelectric fleet of generating assets. Exelon Power has a presence in 15 states and Alberta, Canada, and is capable of generating more than 14,500 megawatts of power through a portfolio of 186 hydroelectric, fossil, biomass and landfill gas units, as well as 18 megawatts from two solar plants and nearly 900 megawatts across 38 wind projects. Exelon Power's diverse generating portfolio enables the company to be competitive in the deregulated power market during the intermediate seasons and peak demand periods.
Locations in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Texas and Massachusetts
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Be the subject matter expert in the shared services model to support generation project development for generator interconnection and power purchase agreements. Responsible for the analysis, utility and Regional Transmission Organization requests, study review, negotiation, coordination with engineering, and administration of large, long-term contracts with utility company counterparties to interconnect the generation project to the transmission system and the selling of power under Power Purchase Agreements (PPA). Reports to the Manager, Utility Transactions and Analysis within Exelon Wind.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Evaluate and manage transmission and interconnection rights and queue applications for Exelon Wind projects that are in-service and in development. This includes assessing grid capacity, reviewing and verifying technical studies, negotiation of agreements to develop the most efficient and cost-effective plan for integrating projects into the electric power grid, and managing work performed by consultants in regards to generator interconnection and transmission service studies and requirements.
- Forecast project schedule and costs of equipment and labor pursuant to studies, engineering, consulting, and payment schedules to satisfy interconnection requirements for inclusion in the project budget and financial models.
- Collaborate with Business Development in providing project updates on interconnection queues in order to effectively strategize and coordinate with overall project development, including identifying planned system upgrades and interconnection queue procedures. Assist in or lead the negotiation of long-term power purchase agreements for projects in the development pipeline.
- Provide technical electrical engineering interpretation of the requirements in the Interconnection Agreement pursuant to construction and operation requirements.
- Maintain the administration and oversee implementation of all utility contracts (interconnection, PPA, and station power) before and after a project achieves commercial operation.
- Monitor utility, RTO, and FERC requirements, regulations, and transmission plans as it relates to impacts to generator interconnection, transmission service, and operations of new and existing wind farms.
- Bachelor degree in electrical engineering and eight (8) years utility experience of which at least five (5) are in power systems design, wholesale power marketing, or generator interconnection.
- Knowledge of system planning, generator interconnection, power purchase agreements, and governing regulations.
MBA or applicable advanced degreePOSITION SCOPERevenue: Principle external contract responsibility for highly regulated, critical electric interconnection of the generator project to the electric transmission grid with a cost impact in the range of $2-10 million per project. Staff/Reports: Will lead outside contractors in interconnection evaluation. Coordinate with Exelon Wind staff, Power Team staff, internal and external legal counsel, regulatory staff, and engineering staff. DISCLAIMERThe preceding position description is intended to provide the general nature and level of work to be performed by employees within this classification. It is not intended to be a detailed description of the position or a comprehensive listing of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position, nor is it intended to indicate the exact amounts of time an individual will perform various position duties. *LI-LB1
Equal Employment Statement
Exelon is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Exelon - 14 months ago
The City of Brotherly Love meets the Windy City and The Greatest City in America in utility and power generating holding company Exelon. The...