The Senior Database Manager will be responsible for providing leadership and technical guidance to our database administration team that support our core production databases. In addition to providing daily leadership and support, this position will be “hands-on” and will conduct performance tuning, processing improvement initiatives, and architect solutions to support our growing business. Key responsibilities:
- Management Responsibilities : Provide daily leadership to DBA team. Create tasks and project plans to ensure that business needs are being met in a timely fashion. Responsible for hiring, firing, performance reviews, and personnel development.
- Storage Architecture : Manage geographically redundant SAN infrastructure and data storage, backup and retention. Design backup and data storage strategies, and manage our SANs. This will include: Justification of allocation, sizing and purchase of SAN resources; Instruction on the implementation of agents across various platforms/operating systems; Usage and configuration of SAN resources to back various databases (Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres); Create policy and ongoing management of snapshot and geographic mirroring of data
- Transaction Database : Working with the lead software engineers, oversee the design & maintenance of the core transaction Databases where we record and account for every click we send to our advertisers.
- Database Architecture : Create new database solutions for core business unit processes. Architect database strategies such as replication, advanced performance analysis, process improvement and mentor database developers. Perform impact analysis and be point of contact for core support issues.
- Data Distribution : Devise & build methods of efficiently distributing all data to where it's needed, and to get changes back. The goal here is to allow our business to continue to run even when the core databases are in downtime - scheduled or unscheduled.
- Reporting Database : Oversee build processes to import data from the Transactional systems into the Reporting Database for analysts to use this every day to get insights into the business. Support a high volume need of new reports. Build schemas to deliver the data needed for reporting efficiently and maintain overall performance for existing report feeds.
- Disaster Recovery : Create backup strategies that protect important data and allow for quick and reliable cut over between our various co-los.
- Other important duties will include: designing & optimizing system code, supporting infrastructure to increase database performance & availability and automating routine operational processes. This role will require participation in on-call rotations.
The successful candidate will be a vital addition to the team with at least:
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following abilities:
- 3+ years in team leadership/mentor role overseeing database administrators and complex database environments
- 10+ years’ experience administering Oracle, Greenplum, and/or SQLServer databases
- 6+ years managing and architecture of SAN environments. Experience with NetApp and Equalogic is desirable.
- 6+ years experience Unix shell scripting
- 6+ years experience administering Oracle RAC/parallel server
- 3+ years experience with a scripting language (Perl, PHP)
- 5+ years experience with data backup and recovery strategies
- Prior experience working with open source databases (MySQL, Postgres, etc.) is highly desired.
- Proven Track Record: Have a successful career history in meeting deadlines, commitments, and code deployment.
- Passion for Technology: Excitement for new technology, bleeding edge applications, and a positive attitude towards solving real world challenges.
- Adaptability: Capable of adjusting to changing priorities.
- Resourceful: Looks for ways to achieve goals with available resources.
- Team Player: Demonstrates a strong ability to support department staff members, managers, and establish
Adknowledge - 9 months ago