Interest Sub Category:
Job Title :
Solaris/ RedHat Systems SAS Engineer
Type of Position:
District of Columbia
• Bachelor's degree plus 10 years of related experience or a combination of education, certifications and specialized industry experience (subject to the Government Contracting Officer granting a waiver).
Specific skills and experience required:
• Experience loading, configuring and supporting various analytical applications e.g. SAS, web services including an understanding application installation directory structures, configurations, content, etc. to troubleshoot basic application server issues
• Understanding how analytical applications e.g. SAS, interact with third party software such as databases and web application servers and how to best configure Solaris and resources for highest SAS performance
• Understanding of hierachical storage management concepts and enterprise class HSM applications such as Symantec Hierarchical Storage Migrator
• Knowledge of SAN and NAS architecture and storage solutions is highly preferred
• Ability to diagnose complex problems to ensure timely and accurate resolution before they impact operations
• Have expertise with Volume Manager and Veritas Storage Foundation
• Ability to research and articulate recommended solutions and technology
• Ability to design, develop and document technical solutions
• Ability to document procedures and change management documentation
• Experience with the ITSM helpdesk ticketing system is a plus
• Detail oriented and must be able to think independently
• High level of initiative with strong verbal and written communication skills is important.
• Skill in managing one's own time and the time of others based on an established project plan
• Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
• Skills in communicating effectively orally and in written format
• Managed multiple priorities simultaneously
• Requires US Citizen or Permanent Resident; must be able to pass NACI investigation / clearance
URS Federal Services - a Fortune 500 company - has an immediate opportunity for a Solaris/Red Hat Engineer experienced with anaytical applications to join our dynamic team supporting the SEC. The position is in Washington, DC (Union Station / Red Line).
• Perform basic system administration tasks such as monitoring CPU/RAM/Disk space utilization, port utilization and running processes on applicable OS.
• Analyze and resolve problems with server hardware setup, tuning and troubleshooting all aspects of the Sun Solaris and Linux operating systems.
• Functional understanding of analytic applications and their performance on Solaris/RedHat environments (SAS, R, MatLab, MatLabR, STATA, etc…)
• Recommend good practice configurations of operating system requirements for optimal operation of analytic applications such as SAS, R, MatLab, MatLabR, and STATA.
• Perform system capacity analysis and planning and integrate SAS with Enterprise Data Warehouse platform (especially Netezza)
• Monitor and support computer processing to ensure optimization of system operation and resource utilization.
• Perform remote monitoring of server/system health and status using provided tools.
• Implement major software upgrades, ensuring change management procedures are implemented and followed.
• Develop new UNIX scripts to support task automation and monitoring activities.
• As needed in support of the UNIX environment, support and troubleshoot networking services and protocols such as TCP/IP, DNS, NFS, DHCP/BOOTP, FTP, SSH, Kerberos, sendmail, and LDAP.
• Report on system availability, performance and security compliance.
• Perform and test data backups and restores, in conjunction with the storage and the backup team, to ensure full data protection.
• Create required reports in response to business user needs and integrate with enterprise wide tools such as BOXI.
• Keep records of and document the environment, including detailed records of incidents and problems that have occurred and the associated resolutions or workarounds
URS Corporation is a leading provider of engineering, construction and technical services for public agencies and private sector companies around the world. The Company offers a full range of program management; planning, design and engineering; systems engineering and technical assistance; construction and construction management; operations and maintenance; information technology; and decommissioning and closure services. URS provides services for power, infrastructure, industrial, oil and gas, and federal projects and programs. Headquartered in San Francisco, URS Corporation has more than 57,000 employees in a network of offices in nearly 50 countries (www.urs.com).
URS Corporation - 12 months ago
copy to clipboard
URS Corporation provides a range of engineering, construction, maintenance, and technical services for customers around the world. Through...