Benefits: 401(k) match, 4 weeks PTO, CareFirst BCBS Medical, Dental, Vision
Employment Type: Full Time
Division: Technical Services
Description: Bridges Consulting, Inc., located in the Maryland, Washington, DC and Virginia area is a benefits rich company, upholding the philosophy that our employees are the first priority; our culture is very warm and family-oriented. We are looking for a Systems Engineer to join our team who fosters the same beliefs and is prepared to become a member of Team BRIDGES. At BRIDGES, we encourage an entrepreneurial spirit, providing quality service to our clients and helping grow our company. This is reflected in our corporate values: Dedication to Customer Satisfaction, Total Respect for Others, Highest Standards of Integrity and Teamwork Dependent.
Description of Position:
Under the supervision of the Team Lead, the Senior Systems Administrator work as part of a team to automate and productize of the project’s infrastructure systems. This position entails hands-on IT assignments requiring technical expertise, and the skills necessary to effectively implement systems administration best practices and strategies. The desire to work in a fast-paced and sometimes stressful environment is necessary for success.
- Analyze hardware and software issues to resolve problems in the most efficient and timely manner
- Perform system installs, and integrate in applications from development teams
- Participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and selection of hardware and software solutions
- Responsible for equipment installation, troubleshooting, and hardware testing
- Be a proactive member of team looking for improvements in technologies and efficiencies
- Assume other duties/projects as they arise and be responsive to the needs of the project
- 8+ years Linux / UNIX systems administration experience, or a completed BA/BS degree and 4 years Linux / UNIX systems administration experience.
- 5+ years working in a large scale enterprise environment, responsible for maintaining mission critical servers / services
- 4+ years experience working with RedHat Enterprise Linux RHEL 3/4/5 system lifecycle - installation, configuration, maintenance (patching), and troubleshooting
- 4+ years installing / configuring ESX 3.5+
- 5+ years experience installing / configuring / troubleshooting: kickstart (automated installs), SSH, DHCP, Bind, Apache, rSyslog (off host and on), LDAP (with TLS), YUM, NTP, PAM, TCP/IP, SNMP
- 4+ years scripting experience (Bash, Perl, Ruby, or Python), able to read / write scripts to facilitate software integration and automated installations
- 2+ years experience performing some type of system backups (able to articulate the different types, and explain the solutions that they have used)
- Experience building RedHat RPMs (able to articulate best practices)
- 4+ years experience with hardware maintenance and troubleshooting
Personal Qualifications Required:
- Experience using Puppet to manage hosts
- Experience with audit log reduction
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting OpenSSL on a Linux or UNIX platform
- Experience configuring Zenoss or other SNMP monitoring software, and SYSLOG-NG – able to articulate some of the functions involved in systems monitoring
- Experience supporting users on a RHEL system, and able to explain common user issues on RHEL
- Experience using CM tools such as Subversion and ClearCase
- Experience documenting systems (technical writing)
- Experience configuring Cisco IOS (switching experience configuring VLANS, NAT, ACLs, multicast)
- Experience working with NetApp appliances, and storage area networks (SAN)
- Experience supporting IBM blade centers
- Experience working against trouble-tickets and discrepancy reports
- Experience installing hardware and cable-plant in racks
- Certification in RHCT / RHCE
Do you wish you could work with a team that trusts you, that relies upon you for your insight, relishes your analytical depth and is blown away by your productivity and efficiency? How about working for a team that truly recognizes your hard work and commitment? What if every morning when you wake up you could not wait to get to work? What if the variety of work, the range of people, and the personal growth and learning was extraordinary? If this sounds like an unattainable dream job, it's NOT! A few of these star opportunities do occasionally become available to talented individuals - it's rare - but it happens.
- Strong technical skills, rigorous, and very "hands-on"
- Strong problem analysis and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work core hours of 9-3 on a regular basis, and infrequent after-hours requirements
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong organizational skills
EEO/AA Employer, Female, Minority, Vietnam-era Veteran and Disabled candidates are encouraged to apply.