Principal Scientist Ruminant-BIO003695
Merck is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and consumer health products, as well as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Merck’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
The position is responsible for:
- Leading group effort in research and development of ruminant vaccine projects for global registration with emphasis on viral diseases of ruminants
- Establishing a proficient communication and efficient collaboration with internal customers in other Departments (Regulatory, Marketing, Technical Services, Quality Control and Assurance, Manufacturing) with the goal of developing cattle vaccines in the shortest possible time with the best possible label claims in the industry
- Establishing relationships with external collaborators like Contract Research Organizations and University and Institute Scientists to support Project Development and enhance the Ruminant R&D Projects portfolio
- Supervising Scientists and Associates in all Project related activities and to manage professional development of all personnel reporting into this position
- Creating study designs for vaccine development that generate the appropriate information required for Product registration with USDA and to properly collect, evaluate/analyze and report the studies data.
- Preparing, reviewing and auditing all Project related reports and data needed to secure new product registrations with USDA and other Regulatory Agencies.
- Providing site/organization with a high level of knowledge on the scientific information related to Animal Diseases Evolution or Emergence and Appropriate Technologies.
- Bringing to the department technical knowledge by reviewing appropriate technical literature and/or attending relevant Ruminant or animal Virus Scientific Meetings
- Starting/maintaining Projects Management tools and providing project reports/updates as required.
- Supporting other Departments when technical issues arise in the areas of vaccine manufacturing, testing or performance in the field
Required Skills and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Virology/Microbiology or DVM with MS in Microbiology
- 10 years experience in industrial vaccine development in Animal Health
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Very good organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Proven track record of original science/patents
- Peer reviewed publications in internationally recognized journal and citations by other scientists in the field are required
- Extensive experience leading research/development of large animal viral vaccines for USDA registration
- Experience identifying and working with internal and external customers
- Experience in creative and simple study designs for vaccine development
- Ability to collect, organize, analyze summarize and report data.
- Experience supervising work from direct reports and managing professional development of all personnel reporting into this position and assisting manager with some general departmental management responsibilities
- To have and maintain high level of knowledge on scientific information related to Animal Diseases Evolution or Emergence and vaccine development/testing Technologies
- Experience in Projects Management tools
- Capable of assessing new vaccine technologies
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
- Prior cattle virus experience
- Experience with use of Bioreactors/Fermenters for tissue culture
- Moderate statistical analysis skills
- Moderate to advance use of personal computers
- Experience leading research/development of vaccines for global registration
Former Military, Transitioning Service Members, National Guard & Reserves - We value your past and present service.
Search Firm Representatives
Please Read Carefully:
Merck is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes ted by search firms to any employee at Merck via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Job Title : Principal Scientist
Primary Location: NA-US-KS-DeSoto
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
: Yes - From time to time, may be in indirect contact with animal infectious agents or chemicals while expected wearing personal protective equipment
Merck & Co. - 20 months ago
Merck makes medicines for a number of maladies, from stuffy noses and asthma to hypertension and arthritis. The pharmaceutical giant's...