161 active jobs
New Haven, CT
University Job Title:
Dining Services Manager 2
Posting Position Title:
Catering Event Manager
Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment:
Flexible Based on Departmental Needs
1. Implement standards; ensure proper preparation and execution of special events.
2. Assist in the preparation, review and distribution of event information to production, service and delivery personnel.
3. Evaluate service standards, make recommendation for improvements to senior staff, assist in the development and implementation of on-going training to delivery and service staff.
4. Provide coaching, training, guidance and direction to staff members. Maintain positive employee relations and resolve issues in a timely and proactive manner. Responsible for performance management of staff; participate in and respond to grievances.
5. Prepare staff payroll and maintain employee records.
6. Continually monitor event planning, meet with customers to discuss changes, communicate event follow-up information to staff.
7. Research equipment, new products; order supplies and maintain proper inventory.
8. Prepare bills for invoicing.
9. Oversee delivery/set up of functions. May occasionally drive University vehicle in support of catering events.
10. Provide information to staff about execution of events.
11. Update pricing.
12. Review and organize function confirmation reports.
13. Assist administrative staff with "sales" issues.
14. Assure compliance with rule and safety/sanitation codes.
15. Other duties as assigned.
16. Drive catering van as needed.
Reporting to the Director of Catering, direct the daily execution of Central Catering/Commons events and management of catering staff.
Required Education and Experience:
1. Bachelor's Degree in Hotel/Restaurant Administration or a related field and two years of previous catering or event management experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Education and Experience:
1. Leadership and supervisor experience.
2. Experience executing special events and selling catering services.
3. Must have valid driver's license.
4. Preferred: Bachelor's Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Administration or Business.
Skills & Abilities:
1. Well-developed organizational skills, including time management and project management.
2. Ability to solve problems and work under pressure and deadlines, while always maintaining tact and composure.
3. Knowledge of food production to include components such as purchasing, food handling, menu planning, nutrition and diet information, special dietary regulations/restrictions, food safety and sanitation.
4. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and well-developed computer skills.
5. Ability to work effectively with various constituents of the University community; excellent customer service, public relations skills and written and oral communication skills.
6. Well-developed listening, negotiation and presentation skills.
7. Ability to train and motivate employees.
Background Check Requirements:
All external candidates will be subject to a criminal background check and may also be subject to motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. Internal candidates may be subject to a motor vehicle or credit check for this position based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check. Please visit
for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Weekend Hours Required?:
Evening Hours Required?:
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.
InsideHigherEd.com - 19 months ago
What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the...