What You Will Do:
The Patient Care Technician assists in the delivery of patient care under the direct clinical supervision of the Registered Nurse. Direct care activities are delegated by the Registered Nurse and consistent with the Maryland Board of Nursing-Nurse Practice Act. Direct care includes activities involving the care and nutrition of patients, provision of direct observation, transportation of patients and documentation of those activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists with direct patient care procedures and related tasks under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse.
2. Provides care on a functional basis to a patient or group of patients. Duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
2.1 Provides comfort measures to patients.
2.2 Observes patients condition and documents vital signs T, P, R, blood pressure and O2 saturation. Reports changes to responsible RN.
2.3 Measures and records intake and output, collects specimen and processes appropriately.
2.4 Assists with setup and positioning of patients for the following procedures (but not limited to): central line insertion, chest tube insertion, lumbar puncture, intubation, foley catheter insertion. Assists with NG tube insertion, pacemakers, sutures, splinting procedures, application of orthopedic soft goods and pelvic exams.
2.5 Obtain and records height and weight of patients.
2.6 Completes clothing and valuable lists for admitted patients according to established procedures.
2.7 Performs the following procedures competently and per policy and procedures under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse:
c. insertion of saline locks
d. application of clean sterile dressing
e. application of restraints
f. administration of tube feedings
g. performs 12 lead EKG
h. nasal suctioning
i. insertion of foley catheter
j. post mortem care
3. Identifies and responds promptly to patient needs, respecting dignity and privacy.
4. Assists in providing orientation and instruction to patients.
5. Completes appropriate documentation in accordance with hospital standards.
6. Assists in patient’s transfers and transports.
7. Maintains a safe, clean, recuperative environment.
8. Communicates effectively with other health care providers to ensure continuity and coordination of care, appropriate care delivery, and to report changes in patient’s condition.
9. Supports departmental operations by assisting with clerical duties, supply and environment maintenance.
10. Participates in the orientation, training, and evaluation of new staff.
11. Maintains competency and yearly educational requirements for position.
12. Adheres to all procedures related to infection control principles.
13. Attends and actively participates in meetings as required.
14. Demonstrates support and compliance with Maryland General Hospital’s mission, vision, values, philosophy, goals, objectives and policies.
15. Performs additional functions and other activities assigned
What You Need to Be Successful:
Currently certified as a CNA by the Maryland Board of Nursing.
High School diploma or GED
One year experience as a CNA or PCT preferred.
Administration, Department Heads, physicians, supervisors, vendors, patients, professional employees,
University of Maryland Medical System - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard