The Sales & Scheduling Coordinator is responsible for the scheduling of university facilities and response to new inquiries related to CU Conference Services conference operations, as well as the management, organization and execution of assigned conferences. This position will represent the University of Colorado Boulder to organizers and participants for conferences and special events that are affiliated with the University of Colorado. This is a full time professional exempt position. If this sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply!
CU Conference Services provides “one-stop shop” conference coordination services at the University of Colorado Boulder and surrounding area. Our staff members are experts with many years of experience in the meeting planning industry and on college campuses. Specializing in logistics, planning and execution, we strive to create value-driven experiences that provide positive impressions for the University, our clients and the participants attending the conferences we coordinate.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Serves as the initial contact with conference organizers for scheduling facilities on and off campus.
• Determines all preliminary needs of clients relating to conference or event and matches needs with available facilities and services.
• Responsible for accurately blocking and maintaining the conference schedule. This includes residence hall beds, residence hall meeting facilities, and academic and/or auxiliary classroom facilities with particular attention to the summer season.
• Writes and sends yearly scheduling correspondence to current clients.
• Serves as scheduling contact for Housing & Dining Services staff for responding to and confirming requests for space usage in residence hall meeting/classroom spaces during summer months.
• Completes necessary Data entry and maintenance of conference scheduling database.
• Prepares scheduling reports as requested using Kinetic software.
• Maintains effective working relationships with various scheduling entities and service providers within Housing & Dining Services and with other departments on campus.
• Develops and maintains the Conference Scheduling Manual to illustrate all current policies and procedures related to scheduling functions on and off campus.
• Creates and maintains the office resource file (brochures, promotions, general information), relating to off-campus facilities.
• Participates as a member of the summer conference management team fulfilling all tasks discussed and/or requested.
30% Sales and Request for Proposals
• Screens potential clients to ensure university eligibility and sponsorship criteria are met. Prepares appropriate paperwork and maintains files.
• Responds to all inquiries through oral and/or written communication in a timely manner.
• Prepares comprehensive, detailed conference bid proposals (RFP’s) in an accurate and timely manner for clients. Gathers pricing, facility information and others request for potential clients.
• Analyzes and evaluates information gathered verbally and in writing from potential and current clients. Consults with CUCS assistant director and director on conferences whose analysis proves to be problematic.
• Designs and conducts site tours to potential and established clients.
• Maintains detailed, accurate information as part of the Request for Proposal process and provides information to assigned Conference Coordinator as part of conference assignment process.
• Responsible for the development and execution of the department’s sales action plan.
• Develop strategies to maintain current business and generate new business.
• Develops internal and external sales tools.
• Attends marketing functions/industry trade shows and presents on services to potential clients.
• Works closely with the Boulder Convention and Visitors Bureau to ensure that a positive relationship between CUCS and Boulder community is established and maintained.
• Maintains a database of qualified leads through referrals, telephone canvassing, face to face, cold calling, direct mail, email.
25% Conference Coordination
• Provides professional guidance to clients for best use of university facilities and services in the planning process. Makes recommendations and advises clients to best match their needs and expectations to the conference/event resources, facilities, and services available through the university and the department.
• Serves as a resource/liaison for information on university, outside services and facilities, and recreational, cultural, and educational opportunities available in the area.
• Develops detailed plans for activities tailored to the specific needs of each client. When appropriate, makes reservations and/or arrangements relating to housing, meals, meeting space, supplies, audio visual equipment, office equipment, transportation, special functions, etc.
• Accurately develops, maintains, and monitors individual conference budgets.
• Coordinates with HDS Finance Liaison and CUCS Business Services Coordinator in all financial activities to ensure that proper procedures are followed. Responsible for keeping and creating accurate financial records related to each conference.
• Serves as a liaison between client and university and/or private vendor to contract for goods and services outside of the Housing and Dining Services. Coordinates and troubleshoots problems that may arise in the delivery of these goods and services. Such services may include transportation, audio visual equipment, hotel sleeping room/meeting rooms, catering, etc.
• Initiates purchase requests and monitors commitments for goods and service to ensure that the budget in not exceeded.
• Schedules and conducts planning meetings with client and major service units to ensure clear understanding of all arrangements.
• Prepares, negotiates, and executes detailed contracts with client describing facilities and services. Ensures that university goods and services that were contracted for are carried out.
• Manages the delivery of certain goods and services provided directly by CU Conference Services.
• Keeps systematic, detailed, and chronological records of all activities for each conference or event.
• Attends staff meetings, individual consultations, and training programs.
5% Other Duties/Responsibilities
• Creates a variety of reports requested by management related to sales initiatives, proposal response, lost business and other performance indicators as needed.
• Stays abreast of trends in sales, marketing and scheduling for summer conference operations.
• Recommends policy changes as necessary.
• Drive university vehicle to coordinate aspects of assigned conferences, providing tours to clients and other duties as assigned.
5% Supervisory Duties
• Supervises student conference assistants on assigned conferences and projects.
Note: Due to the nature of the role and coordinating conferences/events, this position may be required to work evening & weekend hours.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $39,000-$46,000, commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition reimbursement and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment, learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting human resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or (303) 492-6475.
Resume and other application materials will be reviewed to determine if you meet the required qualifications for the position. If it is determined that you meet the required qualifications, your application materials will be used to identify a top group of the most highly qualified candidates. Please, specifically address the qualifications, competencies and desired qualifications in your resume and application materials. There may be questions at the end of this application related to these qualifications and competencies; your answers to these questions will be verified against your application materials and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check and excluded parties list system check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. Further, all employees must submit to the self-disclosure requirements outlined in the campus background check policy available at http://www.colorado.edu/policies/background-check-policy.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and two years related experience in sales, scheduling, or conference/event/meeting planning.
• High attention to detail, and ability to handle multiple tasks.
• Proven experience with the conference and/or event planning process.
• Exceptionally strong computer, organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are required.
• Possess working knowledge of word processing, database, and spreadsheet programs.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends in support of conferences and/or campus events.
• Ability to interact effectively with various constituencies of the university.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
Required Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and abilities
• Knowledge of conference & event scheduling software system.
• Knowledge of planning and coordination process for conferences.
• Knowledge of the appropriate questions to ask in guiding customer through the inquiry process.
• Knowledge of Business English, spelling and grammar.
• Ability to establish and maintain good rapport with internal and external customers.
• Ability to plan, organize and carry out assignments effectively.
• Ability to return verbal & written correspondence in a timely manner and consistently meet deadlines related to sales inquiries.
• Ability to work on several tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to gather and analyze information, access situations and arrive at decisions.
• Ability to exercise attention to detail and design safeguards to prevent scheduling errors.
• Ability to be proactive in solving problems independently and as a team.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide correctly. Ability to gather information about conference services desired, identify appropriate expenses associated with services, and prepare a budget document reflecting these expenses or extrapolating as necessary.
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
• Two years of experience in a hotel, sales, professional meeting planning or university setting with responsibilities in the area of sales, scheduling and conference coordination.
• Familiarity with college-based camps, conferences and special events.
• Has maintained a database of qualified leads through referrals, telephone canvassing, face to face cold calling, direct mail, email, and networking.
• Demonstrated the ability to gather, submit detailed business information for RFP’s, pricing, and presentation to potential clients.
• Experience with computer systems and a strong working knowledge in the use of Microsoft Word/Excel. Familiarity with Kinetic scheduling database system desired.
• Knowledge of campus housing system and residence hall facilities.
Special instructions to applicants
Please apply by 10/9/2013
To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.jobsatcu.com:
1) A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
2) A current resume
3) The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references
Please Note: The final candidate will be required to provide proof of completed academic degree in the form of a transcript or diploma copy if the candidate will be using a completed academic degree to fulfill a minimum requirement for the position.
If you have difficulties submitting application information, please contact the jobsatcu help desk at: 1-855-216-7740 option 5
Job posting contact
Job posting contact telephone
Job posting contact email
Job Posting Number
Quicklink for Posting
University of Colorado - 17 months ago