The database administrator role entails the building, support, tuning and performance monitoring of robust, high-performance PostgreSQL/MySQL database environments within Tribune Digital organization. You will be supporting both production and non-production databases. In addition to the routine work, you will be analyzing and designing data structures to retain data integrity, setting up clustering for fail-over and managing replication for redundancy. You will be interacting with the Operations, Architecture and Development groups to increase stability, scalability and performance to suit the needs of the business units.
- Database software installation (upgrades and patches) including:
- Expertise and hands on experience of PostgreSQL/.MySQL instance install/configuration
- Expertise and hands on experience with PostgreSQL 9.x replication (slaves)
- Expertise and hands on experience with MySQL 5.x replication
- Experience with installing, configuring, tuning and managing multiple PostgreSQL/MySQL environments
- Database Management - Includes and is not limited to performing database start-ups and shutdowns, creating new databases, maintaining capacity and database sizing due to business growth or changes and operating automated monitoring tools as designed.
- Database Maintenance and Support - Includes maintenance of database management scripts, analyzing and rebuilding tables and indexes, performing capacity planning and assessing and recommending technology to improve the overall database performance.
- Database Performance Management. Ensures all Tribune PostgreSQL/MySQL databases are running at optimal performance. The DBA will maintain table/index statistics up to date and ensures application SQL performs optimally.
- Comfortable with following standard procedures for build, and communicating with the server and storage team engineers to troubleshoot any issues.
- Building Development, QA, Staging and Production PostgreSQL/MySQL database environments.
- DBA on call support is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years in PostgreSQL software installations and patch upgrades
- 5+ years in MySQLsoftware installations and patch upgrades
- 5+ years of solid PostgreSQL experience to include DBA skills
- 5+ years of solid MySQL experience to include DBA skills
- 5+ years experience configuring PostgreSQL replication (slaves)
- 5+ years experience configuring HA configurations in MySQL: Replication, Mirroring, Clustering
- 3+ years hands on with PostgreSQL database refreshes from production to test environments
- 3+ years hands on with MySQL database refreshes from production to test environments
- 5+ years experience in using advanced PostgreSQL/MySQL features like table partitioning and different types of oracle indexing.
- Backup and Restore - Experience with PostgreSQL/MySQL database backups and point in time recovery.
- Experience with Postgres Enterprise Manager (PEM)
- Strong knowledge and experience with UNIX shell scripting.
- Working knowledge of Linux Operating System
- Very good oral and written communication skills
- Must be a team player.
Tribune Company - 16 months ago