Do you have what it takes to convince people to do the right thing? Are you interested in making a server hardware deployment as cost efficient as you possibly can? Does seeing unused server hardware get put to more efficient use make you happy? Join the team that makes decisions about Yahoo deploys and utilizes our server hardware. You must be able to drive our agenda, and help everyone to focus on doing the right thing for the company.
About Our Group:
The Performance Engineering Group is charged with optimizing utilization of our systems deployed in data centers across the world. We are analyzing the next generation technology and building total cost of ownership models used for right-sizing of components. We work closely with our technology suppliers and are constantly growing our engagement with the industry. The group select and certify components as well as systems for deployment in our data centers. We are assisting service engineers and developers in the optimization of our applications, operating systems and hardware used for running our products. The group is highly TCO driven, our main goal being to stay ahead of technology, predict upcoming technology directions and assist with system selection for projects and drive proper utilization.
- This position's primary responsibility will be to drive our grooming effort.
- You will need to analyze current hardware deployments and determine if the correct amount and type of hardware has been deployed for the task at hand.
- If you find discrepancies, you will need to work with properties to redress these issues.
- You will need to coordinate with many different individuals and groups throughout the company.
- You must be comfortable driving contact and interaction (if you would prefer to sit in your cubicle and write code, this job is not for you).
- You must be prepared to lead and help those, who might not initially understand why they need your help.
- You must be able to track your results and present them to management. Our group, like the rest of Yahoo is very goal oriented.
- You will be expected to set, track and report on the progress of your goals every quarter. You must be able to deliver on a deadline.
- EXCELLENT oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact with all levels of a company, and drive consensus
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail. Past PM experience is a plus
- 5-10 years UNIX experience: RedHat Linux and/or FreeBSD are a plus
- 5 years of x86 server hardware experience.
- TCO efficiency focused