The On-Call Safety and Security Officer is responsible for providing protection and communication with hotel guests and employees. He/she is also responsible for patrolling hotel premises to maintain security, detect and report fire, security and safety hazards and/or violations of Highgate Hotel’s rules and regulations. Candidates must be able to work flexible schedules. “Flexible” refers to being able to work different shifts.
DUTIES & FUNCTIONS
• Use proper radio etiquette at all times.
• Maintain visual contact with the Front Desk/Night Auditor and the front door of the hotel by remaining in the Lobby area when not on property walks.
• Maintain and review daily activity log.
• Maintain confidentiality with respect to guest and employee incidents.
• Hold briefing with Guest Services staff both at the beginning and end of shift.
• Check ID of visitors/employees as necessary.
• Access secured areas for authorized personnel.
• Maintain an awareness of legal limitation of position (local, state and/or federal ordinances).
• Assist guests to their rooms or assist guest’s w/entry into their rooms according to hotel standards.
• Assist during medical emergencies.
• Respond to emergency situations, including medical, security, guest complaints, etc.
• Investigate assault complaints.
• Assist outside agencies, as necessary, to maintain effective liaison.
• Respond to altercations, and investigate.
• Have knowledge of hotel and guestroom locking systems.
• Monitor TV cameras, if applicable.
• Administer First Aid/CPR as necessary.
• Challenge suspicious persons.
• Check safety hazards.
• Administer Heimlich Maneuver and or First Aid/CPR as necessary
• Complete Incident/Accident reports in a clear and concise manner.
• Monitor employees as they enter and exit the building.
• Conduct investigations relative to property losses, guest and employee accidents, and illnesses and crimes against the hotel.
• Document all deliveries.
• Patrol area to insure that areas are secure and free of unauthorized persons and disturbances.
• Provide escorts to persons carrying money, or other requests.
• Issue and inventory pagers, radio equipment and keys on a daily bases, if applicable.
Education & Experience:
• High School diploma or equivalent and/or experience in a hotel or related field preferred.
• Previous security or law enforcement background preferred.
• Flexible and long hours sometimes required.
• Heavy work - Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 20 pounds constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
• Ability to stand during entire shift.
• Ability to climb and descend stairways and run.
• Ability to physically deter individuals who pose a threat to employee and/or guests.
• Maintain a warm and friendly demeanor at all times.
• Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
• Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns raised by employees and guests.
• Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
• Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
• Attend all hotel required meetings and trainings.
• Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Highgate Hotel Standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
• Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which includes wearing the proper uniform and nametag.
• Comply with Highgate Hotel Standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
• Maximize efforts towards productivity, identify problem areas and assist in implementing solutions.
• Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
• Must be able to understand and apply complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
• Must be able to cross-train in other hotel related areas.
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
• Must be able to show initiative, including anticipating guest or operational needs.
• Perform other duties as requested by management.